Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a serious problem, my ATX 2nd Gen MX6 seems to be running like a bag of sh!t

At 60km/h it revs at 3500rpms
At 70km/h it revs at 4000rpms
At 80km/h it revs at 4500rpms

On standstill it runs great at normal revs, but as soon as I drive it picks up revs quickly and they stay high.

It just happened this evening. What could it be.

It never ran like this before.

I just had the leads and plugs changed not long ago.

HELP because im stressing!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
high revs

hey. i had the same problem on my mx but got it fixed about 2 wks ago. does it shift funny? (if it's an atx). i changed out the plugs and plug wires on mine and that didn't fix it, so i took it into the shop and they found that my cat. convertor was clogged. of course, if that's the problem, i would think the O2 sensor behind the cat would have detected something and turned on your engine light. but anyways, the cat convertor on mine was creating so much back pressure that it wouldn't shift right and ran at high revs. instead of taking it to the dealer, try taking off the factory cat convertor and run the car w/out one on....if it runs smoother, u will know that was the problem and u can replace it.

brenda

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You could always count the gears and see if it's running through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and the possibly torque conver lockup once it gets into 4th (usually drops the revs a few hundred).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well lets see, Ive never seen any engine warning light show on my MX6.

How can I be sure it is the cat converter without taking it off??

What ive figured out is i have to put the foot down and it has to reach about 120km/h before it actually will shift up a gear.

It used to shift gears like this
0-20km 1st gear
20-60km 2nd gear
60-80km 3rd gear

Now it shifts like this
0-20km 1st gear
20-120 2nd gear
120+ 3rd gear

This is what ive figured if im counting through the gears right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey. i have no clue how you would check the cat convertor w/out taking it off. also, have you checked your atx transmission fulid? other than those things, i don't kno wut else would be wrong w/ your car. good luck. tell me how things turn out?

brenda

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked fluid levels, Done the obvious, and today I took it in to Mazda and they just informed me my ATX has sh!t itself.

Not only does it nead an overhaul but its going to cost me ~ AU$3000.00.

Now im really going to be admireing my MX6 for a while, cant afford to get it fixed for a while.

·
Registered
886 Posts
:eek: Ouch ! That's a fair slug of cash Darko, sorry to hear it. You also just had your plugs & leads changed recently as well didn't you ?

How many kays are on your MX-6 ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts