Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all the sudden started to do it, I filled up the tires a little more and it seemed to help, but now I'm to scared to use the highway. What went wrong THIS time? Thank you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
had that problem, pepboys told me i need an allignment, axle, strut mounts, well in your case it might be:
1-your tires are bad
2-u need an alligment
can't think of anything else, hope this helps

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i had tires do it too before, but i also have had the weights fly off of a wheel before and throw it off balance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem at 85MPH - got nice new tires, and the problem disppeared.

It's the tires.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
96IntegraRS said:
I had the same problem at 85MPH - got nice new tires, and the problem disppeared.

It's the tires.

like someone posted, the weights can fly off while driving. you replaced your tires and they balanced them for you... and you thought it was the tires. boy id hate to see him go shell out $300 or so on some tires just to find out he was missing a wheel weight.

have your tires balanced with a machine that can measure road force variation. i bet a weight flew off.

oh... just a heads up for you guys. if you ever have an HLA ticking, its for sure a faulty fuel pump fuse. if you pull the fuse, it goes away... put the fuse back in and its back again... so that gotta be it, right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
New tires is assuming that you aren't missing a weight - probably should have clarified that - and that new tires will be properly balanced.

Otherwise, I have read about 10 posts here indicating tire replacement was the fix, and my personal experience included.

BTW - those 205/55/15's are $$$!!!!! I paid $500 for 4, mounted and balanced, and they were the second to cheapest set! Ouch :shrug:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just thought I would throw this out there - I bought my car last July and after I bought it, I increased the air pressure on my tires to about 44psi (max of 51). Apparently the tires were dry-rotted because the car had been sitting for a LONG time. The increased pressure on the old tires made the tires show lots of cracks around the edges of the rear tires, and I could see the steel belts through the treads in the rear left tire. The steel belts had broken and my made my car ride like CRAP! I just thought of this because you said you increased your air pressure.

And, if you get new tires, just buy them through tirerack.com. I paid about $400 shipped and installed. I've got Sumitomo HTR+ and they're great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It may be your CV axle

Have you checked your CV boot and/or axle for wear and tear? I had the problem where my car would shake at 60Mph or more and while I was breaking from high speed. Turned out I needed a CV axle replaced, as my CV boot was torn.

Kwincy5

·
Banned
420 Posts
my car shakes at 70+ mph, and also shakes when braking and can also feel the brake pedal vibrate and jump when i brake, so i am goin to sears today and having all tires checked out, front end alignment, check out rotors and brake pads, and fully check out front end. i hate it when it vibrates and its seriously pissing me off, so i want it fixed. will let you know what came up with mine.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
wow, this thread is almost 2 years old...

·
Registered
146 Posts
joe77535 said:
my car shakes at 70+ mph, and also shakes when braking and can also feel the brake pedal vibrate and jump when i brake, so i am goin to sears today and having all tires checked out, front end alignment, check out rotors and brake pads, and fully check out front end. i hate it when it vibrates and its seriously pissing me off, so i want it fixed. will let you know what came up with mine.
I recommend NOT going to Sears. Besides the fact that they tend to be highly incompetent their prices are just too high and they nickel and dime you for everything. All I wanted one time was to swap two tires and balance and they were gonna charge me 70+ dollars.

The shaking during your braking is warped rotors. Get Brembo blanks (which are pretty cheap) and you'll be very happy with them.

Brake jobs are super easy you should really try to do it yourself because you'll save hundreds. For examlple, the pads they generally put on your car run approx $13-15/set at autozone but they'll charge you 75 no problem.

I go to tirerack for balances because it's what's closest to my house and it's one of the very few things you can't do yourself. Good luck!

Mike

·
Banned
420 Posts
reason i am goin to sears locally, is cuz they have always done me well, i always and only deal with the same guy. he is very good and knows what is doing and doesnt rap me. another reason, is cuz i am currently between jobs, so i am putting the work onto my sears card, so i can pay a lil at a time until i get a job.

found out the shaking is due to one of my lower control arm bushings being out and my inner tie rod is messed up. they showed me in person, so i know they are telling the truth i checked it myself. my rotors are a lil bit warped, but since i did all 4 tire balance and once i get bushing the thing with brake will go down. it shakes pedal cuz the driver wheel is shaking when i brake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
joe77535 said:
reason i am goin to sears locally, is cuz they have always done me well, i always and only deal with the same guy. he is very good and knows what is doing and doesnt rap me. another reason, is cuz i am currently between jobs, so i am putting the work onto my sears card, so i can pay a lil at a time until i get a job.
Makes sense. It sounds like you've got a decent mech. If you want though, there are a number of people in Houston who would help you out with swapping this stuff. It's cake stuff. Of course you'll still need the alignment so if you've got a good deal then it's worth it. I paid someone to install my headers because it was cheap and convenient and the fat bastard was also nice enough to scratch my fender like 20 times w/ his belt buckle or something.

Mike

·
Banned
420 Posts
if i didnt trust the two guys that i talk to then i wouldnt go there at all. one guy works inside that i deal with and the other dude is the mechanic, they know that i only deal with those two guys and no one else. i got a really good deal, basically on inner tie rods and lower control arm bushings, i buy them and they only charging me to install bushings, not tie rods, which is a good deal. i have only seen ONE mx-6 anywhere around here. i have driven all the way to galveston for an entire weekend, baytown every other day just about, humble couple times a week, crosby, and every where between and i have only seen one mx-6 in humble last week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts