Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. got a 93 mx6 with v6 and auto transmission. runs well except for the pickup. from a standing start or even moving if i hit the gas pedal hard the car wont lurch forward . if i hold the pedal all the way to the floor the car just slowly pickups speed. not slowly but not like i think this car should. once it hits about 3000 rpm then it really goes. i have checked the vris and they seem to work. any ideas? tranny slipping? i checked the tranny oil. dont smell burned.look forward to advice.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Is there anything else obviously wrong with the car? How is the air filter and regular maintenance items? Does the car cough at all at other times? It could be any number of things. It could be a clogged fuel filter, a very dirty air filter, a vacuum leak, or pretty much anything else. My old taurus wagon used to do that too and I suspected that the head gaskets were worn/blown.

·
Registered
172 Posts
this is how mine was when I first bought it also the best thing to do is to go down the list in number of most obvious and cheap, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, I did all this and it turned out to be a blown headgasket I think I found that out when the oil was way high and I opened it to empty some and it was all coolant :[

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
since its an auto...if you flick the gas pedal, can you get it to drop into a lower gear (crank those rpms up)...if you just floor it and it stays in fourth gear...it will have horrible pickup..

·
Registered
954 Posts
do u have a check engine light ? I had something similar happen when my knock sensor went out, the car would slowly accelerate at WOT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys to the responses. but in answer to all the possibilites. i had filters replaced. fuel and air. oil is fine. no coolant.car runs smooth at idle. doesnt hesitate or sputter at any speed . belts have been replaced. engine light doesnt come on. o2 sensors replaced.maybe fuel pump? as i said it doesnt hesitate or sputter. just no kick in the pants acceleration. it did when i got it 4 yrs ago or so.and it has only 170 000 km. any other ideas?

·
Registered
172 Posts
probably check the headgaskets fuel pump would be another likely call i changed mine but that wasnt it :[
its troublesome to get that in too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check the VRIS system

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tried the vris system. it is working fine. no anitfreeze in oil so i assume head gaskets good. how can i check fuel pump?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so i got it back on the road. now whe the car is in park or neutral and i rev the engine it revs easily and quick like it should. only when i drive it seems that it wont rev the same. is it perhaps the tranny? slipping?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts