Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night I was drivin home and saw a friend so I was gonna whip it around and catch em. Well when I hit the gas it bogged down really bad and sputtered and even heard a backfire. It drives fine if I use the right amount of gas for each gear but if I accelerate too fast it does it and if I am in 4th accelerating from 30mph's (just after turning) it does it so I have to down shift to use less gas so it runs good. I think its the fuel filter but not sure, Any Ideas??

Jay

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well that and the air filter and ignition system are a good place to start.:ewink:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94MX6pilot audio master said:
Well that and the air filter are a good place to start.:ewink:
Cold Air, took filter off and ran it, still the same thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
bringing back this old post because my 6 is doing this RIGHT now. Went out to leave work and started it up got the sputter. Was able to get it to idle but upon acceleration, i'd have to do it nice and slow but i'm at a loss. I've searched, damnit i've searched the only thing i can think of are my wires since i haven't changed those in a hot minute

Note, it wasn't doing this at 1115 when i got into work.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
well I am in the same spot as all you boys the same thing my car is doing :( dono why but it is :( and at a stop my idle tends to drop and rise drop and rise. same amount both ways :( it sucks I am going to crank my idle for a temp fix for it till i can figure it out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
mine does that too, but it will idle out and will remain stable. If i gradually step on the gas it will go without problem. if i step on it, then i get the sputter. now, it was to the point i can't even start it. without it sputtering out. I haven't thrown a CEL and, like i said, it just started this evening so no noticeable affect

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kyle, do the test. Just because it's not throwing a CEL doesn't mean that there are no codes

found the following on mine

and

I know the first one is the cam sensor, the second one is the Air Flow, and the third is the VRIS1 selenoid, but what does that mean and what should i look for first?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
tried to pull codes and nothing at all. next try to take a volt meter and check the resistance of the parts it said was bad. also get a haynes it tells you all the info on everything! hope you find out what is going on soon cuz maybe it is the same on mine I am just not throwing codes for some reason? I dono but I just want my car running right again!

·
Registered
305 Posts
It sounds like your throttle body needs a good cleaning, adjusting, and oiling. Buy a TB cleaner, and you may need to tighten the bore, and then use some WD 40 for lubricant. However, if the idling problems still persist then have someone test your disty, since your wiring/electrical system seems okay.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i'm about to replace the cap and rotor today. i'll let you know how it turns out

correction: okay searched and found but what is the correct procedure to spray the TB?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Okay, another question: which fuel filter should i be concerned with: the high or low pressure side? Also, if i test it, will i have to clamp the lines down to prevent becoming the human torch?

·
Registered
305 Posts
i'm about to replace the cap and rotor today. i'll let you know how it turns out

correction: okay searched and found but what is the correct procedure to spray the TB?
I usually have someone rev the engine while I inspect the moving parts on the TB itself. This allows me to see what specific areas look ‘rusty’. Then shut off the motor and spray those identified areas carefully (not generously). Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
that's the problem. i can't get the engine to rev up at all anymore, much less idle

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same boging down problem. I think it is the fuel pump.
I took off the fuel rail cross over hose, expecting a spray of gas and only a spoon full of gas came out with almost no pressure (with engine warm but shut off and half tank of gas)

·
Registered
177 Posts
update: okay, the throttle position sensor was bad.Replaced and now the car starts up but i still have the problem with wanting to step on the gas and i get the sputter. We've checked the fuel pump, the filter, even the vaf to no avail (thank goodness for working with a mechanic cuz they can return that schtuff). running out of ideas save for the VRIS 2 sensor selenoid whatever it's called

·
Registered
177 Posts
i checked them but i will recheck cuz i have a habit of overlooking things that are right in front of me

·
Registered
177 Posts
UPDATE

HAHAHA!!!!! A disti from Hughes fixed the sputtering. Thanks Mike. Another issue arose, however, and that's a high (1500 rpm) idle. Going to check vacuum tubes and connections when i get off of work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts