Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a day of parking my car in the sun, when I start it, it idles poorly for about 20 seconds and flutters. Sometimes it dies and I have to restart it. Then it runs fine. This isn't a big deal but I'm curious what it could be. It always starts and runs fine in the morning. This only happens when sitting in the heat for extended hours.

I checked for air leaks. I wonder if this could be something with the main relay or the fuel pump relay. Maybe one of the soldered joints is weak and the heat effects it? The next thing I was going to try is measuring the voltage on the fuel pump to see if the voltage is low right when I turn the key after it sits all day.

-collinp

·
Registered
137 Posts
i had somewhat of a similar problem: horrible idle, stalling and sometime it would be hard to start in general...

it ended up being my first injector being left open and leaking fuel in my cylinder and basically washing my cylinder of oil basically losing compression and trying to start my car with 3 cylinders.

i found out using a fuel pressure reg with a guage

after it would turn on and the oil got back on the rings the car ran normal again...

... butyou say it only happens when it's in the heat.... that's got me beat...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I was thinking a distributor, igniter, or plug wire issue? I would go ahead and replace the plug wires if they are old.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Get the WSM and check the resistance across the igniter when you pull the plugs and wires... i forget the exact value, should be like 900 ohms or something.. gotta pull the distributor to do it..

The DX/LX/LE/non-turbo igniters have a habit of causing your car to stall when warm. It can be maddeningly difficult to diagnose.. as there are lots of things which could cause a car to stall..

Another easy way to check - get another non-turbo distributor of the same year(With lower miles)... and swap it with yours.. that'll let you know real quick if the igniter is the problem or not.

Might not be the igniter.. but when it gets heat soaked, weird stuff happens.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys could be onto something. I'll look into the distributor, plugs, wires, ignitor. The only thing is, there is a really small window of about 20 seconds when the problem is occuring. The car runs similar to when you start your lawn mower without pressing the gas priming button. However, if you give it some gas right after you start it, it seems to get the cobwebs out. It definitely has to do with sitting in the heat for about 5+ hours before the problem occurs. I had the ignitor go out before about 6 years ago and the problem then was the car would stall at stops or stoplights regardless of the temperature outside. But it could be a weak ignitor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts