Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i was on I-80 doing 85mph when as usal i saw a state trooper hidding in the bushes with the radar on....i attemted to down shift since it was dark and didn't want him to see me braking when low and behold i was stuck in 5th grear! I got off at the nearest exit and luckly found a gas station that was right off the exit where i could pull in with out the car shutting off. I took me forever to get it out of grear what could be my problem? could it be my tranny, i had a atx-mtx done last summer, and my clutch dosen't feel as stiff anymore like how it used to be, do i just need to adjust my clutch any suggestions would be helpful guys, thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
romeoj97 said:
Last night i was on I-80 doing 85mph when as usal i saw a state trooper hidding in the bushes with the radar on....i attemted to down shift since it was dark and didn't want him to see me braking when low and behold i was stuck in 5th grear! I got off at the nearest exit and luckly found a gas station that was right off the exit where i could pull in with out the car shutting off. I took me forever to get it out of grear what could be my problem? could it be my tranny, i had a atx-mtx done last summer, and my clutch dosen't feel as stiff anymore like how it used to be, do i just need to adjust my clutch any suggestions would be helpful guys, thanks.
check your clutch pedal and fork adjustment.. the clutch might not be fully disengaging.

also check your motor mounts.. in severe cases, if they are broken or bent, the engine will get wedged in such a position as to buind the linkage, and make it hard to shift.

worst case scenario is you broke all kinds of stuff and its stuck in gear forever muwahaha.. ;) but i think you would have felt/heard other symptoms as well.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I' definately check the linkage.

Also, check all of your bushing, and especially the shifter bearing/bushing. I found that on both my Mx6, it would bind in 5th gear heavily and sometimes would get stuck because the stock silicon grease shifter bearings were worn out and causing it to bind. One side of my RS shifter bearing was actually cracked somehow and caused it to be severely detent into 5th.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

i brought it to my mechanic and it seems that a old piece of metal from my atx was near that shifter and it got in the way when i shifted into 5th gear! My mechanic cut it off and so far things look fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts