Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya, I got pulled over twice for my muffler on the car, i was running no cat with a jap racing pipe. I hallowed out my cat so the cops thought i had one on. I know that it was illegal, but i used it until i got in trouble. Since i didnt fee like paying a $120 fine(In Pa it is illegal to modify your exhaust beyond stock)I purchased a magnaflow high flow cat with a toucan racing pipe. The car is half as loud now but I once again got pulled over. I want my car to have a nice sound, yet there is no way to do this around here. Would using a glass pack/cherry bombs resonate the sound to make it quieter? Is there any pipes out there that will just amplify the stock engine sound?

·
Registered
79 Posts
By using about a 12-18 inch glasspack, this will greatly reduce the sound. Some say that it restricts the flow of air and some say that is does not. My exhaust set-up is Bosal/Brospeed ceramic coated headers, hi-flow cat, 2.25 inch piping and a magnaflow muffler. The tone is deep, but not too loud. I did get a ticket for the exhaust, once before. I just went to the local muffler shop and had them install a 18" glasspack, and that quited things down considerably.

When you first drive away, it feels like you are driving a different car, because you do not hear the exhaust like you use to. This also makes you feel like the car goes slower.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds good, i thought no one was going to reply on this on, i have to face that my car is slow though,haha,im finishing my exterior mods before i start making it fast,

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have a borla exaust high flow cat and i have never gotten pulled over in pa for my exaust being to loud and i think the borla is one of the loudest exausts i have ever heard maybe its just my area cause the popo dont really give a s**t i have 5% tint too and have never gotten pulled over for that allthough i have gotten pulled over in jersey for my exaust so i dont know maybe im just lucky

G

·
I live in pottstown, Pa. And after talking to alot of cops before i had my exhaust done they said alot of areas don't have a db limit but the are coming into effect. but they still won't poull you over just for that. unless your reving high all the time or being an azz. also i have all around 10% and never get stopped for it :) or my system get alot of warnings though

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i drive through town in like 4th gear at about 2000 rpm, u know how queit that is, i still got pulled over, i thought maybe i needed to make my car less noticable, i took off my alum. wing,i forgot to add that i had a bunch of girls in my car too, cops prolly wanted to check em out

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
how do cops measure your db? they don't go around and measure you as you drive by. You were probally hte loudest car he heard that day. I wonder how you could fight one of those tickets in court???

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get to fight it in court actually. I'm going to state that my exhaust was shot, which made it really loud. The cop told me it had to be replaced,he never stated that the replacement had to be a stock set up. Replaced cat and muffler, have reciepts to prove it, thats all im goin to say.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I'm from PA too and have never had any problems. I have a Borla Catback. Clean Six, what color is your car? I am from Pottstown too. I have seen a growing number of MX6's around, so I might have seen you or you might have seen me. See my sig for my pics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a PA State Inspection Mech. I run a Brospeed Cat back and Brospeed Headder with a punched cat. No problems what so ever. Who ever told you that an exaust can't be modified is full of it. If that was the case you would only be able to buy factory parts for repacement. Fight that ticket I think someone was working on their quota for the month.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fought the law and I won,yea well i guess it is illegal to modify your exhaust for the hell of it,you are only allowed to replace your exhaust if it is defective,i told them my cat was shot so i bought a new cat and a new muff for the heck of it, i have connections at A&A so it only cost me like 50 for everything

·
Registered
400 Posts
well cops ain't got nothing to do these days, u know what really questions me, well what about them bikers, i mean the harley, those ***ers are really loud, do they get e ticket too? I don't think so, can someone help me figure that out please.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea,what about full sized trucks and old muscle cars,why the heck is it so wrong to add some performance too an import and be a little loud,no one complains,all you have to do is drive around in a repectful manor and no one cares,if anything people say it sounds good

·
Registered
400 Posts
exactly, i think that the cops are haters, well some of them, i call this "to loud" bul*hit , come on why in the world they sell those mufflers and all the other goodies then legally? *** ya

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The user name may be the funniest thing I've seen on this site in a long time. :tup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im in PA too and have never had any pullovers due to exhaust, got pulled over for speedin a couple times tho;)

I have headers, test pipe, and a straight thru muffler.

glad to hear u won tho, i would also like to kno about the whole harley/noise thing too, cuz thats F'd up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok, i was looking around the site to see if i could get any good recomendations about my exhaust situation, it is wearing out and i figured i would just get a whole new exhaust system, but by the sound of this...i dont know...though i have rarely seen people pulled over for too loud of an exhaust out here in harrisburg. Any thoughts or ideas as far as an exhaust goes leme know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts