Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I replaced my t-stat, and checked my temperature sensor and it's good. So here's the problem. My car won't come up to operating temperature. The needle stays way low, like almost on the C. Even after driving for 2 hours on the highway and on backroads I could'nt get it to heat up. The gauge is working, I checked that out, and the heater is blowing cold air. So, why won't it get warm? I'm stumped. What would make a car stay cold, t-stat? It's new and installed with the jiggle pin up, so that should'nt be it. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm...single, however it was doing the same with the old t-stat in there. Not sure what that one was though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That single/dual stage stuff has been beaten to death, I'm not sure that is even valid for my specific problem. The t-stat I took out was in there when I bought the car almost a year ago, and it has worked fine until couple of days ago(not saying that is my problem though). My car is not coming up to temp, with either t-stat in there. So that kind of eliminate the t-stat. I bought the cheaper single stage just to use it as a trial and error, to see if that was the bad part in there. If it does the same with both t-stats' in there, then troubleshooting tells me the t-stat isn't the culprit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only thing i can suggest is that your engine temp. sensor is bad. But you still have heat inside the car.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ur normal operating temp would make the guage on about quarter way. on a hot summer's day it will be half way. in winter, it will eb very low.

for my car, even after a 1 hour drive in the cold, the temp guage is still only about 1/5 of the way.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I used to hae the temp go up to half way. Then after I replaced my t-stat, normal operating temp is like one-third. The fan still kicks in if it gets past one half. The only thing I could say is this. Check to make sure the t-stat isn't stuck open. I know it's new, but on mine it was stuck open because a piece of something was lodged in it.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
1.) Most el-cheapo single-stage thermostats are rated for 180F - which is a good ten degrees below what the OEM dual stage is rated for. So if your operating temp drops a bit when installing a single stage, that's normal.

2.) If the thermostat is stuck open the car will take an extremely long time to warm up. 2 hours is an extrememly long time for a warm up. My car takes about 10 minutes of driving to warm up when the temperature drops below freezing.

3.) The temp gauge should sit just slightly to the left of dead center after the car is warmed up. Year round. Period. It should not fluctuate with weather conditions; it is designed to keep the car at a certain temperature setpoint. If your temp gauge is not reading near center when warmed up, either your thermostat is stuck open, fan is on all of the time, or your water thermosensor is bad.

·
Registered
948 Posts
it can't be that your engine isn't getting hot. That is almost impossible. If it is running it's getting to operating temp. It has to be something with the t-stat or the guage itself.

My temp is always dead straight up. It never goes above that though.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
but urs is an LX mate.

i know with the GT's down here in australia, that normal average operating temp is around 1/3 of the way.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright magik8, I checked the fan, it's not coming on at all right now because of the low temp. It will come on if I disconnect that lead to the t-stat housing. Where is the thermosensor, and do you know how to check it? Maybe continuity at a certain degree like the temperature sensor? I'll check my manual, but it's at a friends house and I can't get to it until Monday if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
runnin' cool

Perhaps your cooling system has some sort of pinhole leak or maybe even the rad cap. Make sure to test the t-stat, to be sure it's not stuck open. Have you felt the rad hoses for difference in temp ? If no heat, you could have an air lock somewhere or blockake. Is the idle rough ?
Try a pressure check.......

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, here's the update. I thought, hmm maybe coolant is leaking past the rad cap when it gets even a little hot, keeping the temp down. Not much of a rational thought, but the cap wasn't sealing so I replaced it. I tested both t-stats in water, I didn't have a thermometer handy so I just waited to see when they opened and which one opened first. The original one opened way faster, and it's a higher temp one, so that tells me the spring tension in the t-stat has been distorted and was opening before it was supposed to. The new one opened considerably later and closed much faster than the other one when I put it to cooler water. So, I put the new one in the 6, new rad. cap, jiggle pin up, topped off the coolant, and checked for other leaks. Looks like it all good so far, so I start up the car. Let it run for 25 minutes, waiting(twiddling thumbs) and the car sits about 3/8 of the way on the gauge. A little lower than half, I can live with that. Plus now I get good heat in the car, it's idling fine, there is now heat on the radiator hoses. I'm quite sure with my testing the old t-stat was opening prematurely and maybe staying open too long. I've never really ran into this problem so it was a learning experience. I'm glad I learned the easy way with the t-stat staying open and not closed and warping a head. Thanks for everyones help. :)))

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
3/8 of the way counds right to me...stop worrying....having it cold is better than it being hot lol

u got no problem here mate :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
guys i'm having the same problem as drsjr1980....but when i engage the ebrake at a light or something the gauge starts to work......ive had this problem since i bought the car about a year ago and it only doesnt work right when it is cold out.....anyone have any idea why it only works when i pull the ebrake???? Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That e-brake thing is kind of weird, maybe you have a short somewhere and the e-brake bumps a wire. Weirder things have happened. It was my t-stat, and possibly a little help from my radiator cap. But mainly my t-stat, works fine now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts