Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 Mazda mx6 4 cylinder:
To get straight to the question start reading from the "***"
Awhile back I got a turbo kit and cylinder head I installed the kit and had a shop do a bunch of work to the head (valve job, valves, dual rev springs, porting, everything)
With the old head still on I had the turbo kit, 310cc injectors, 255 fuel pump, fuel regulator. Car would start fine but run rich.
Installed new head. Lined up main pulled so that the number one piston was at TDC and pulley marks lined up, also made sure the "E" on one cam gear was lined up with the "I" on the other. And distributor was lined up so it was starting on the number 1 spark plug. After reading a bunch of threads that seemed to be the correct way to line everything up.

***** The car will crank but will not turn over. I am getting a spark though. We tried a 180 switch and still nothing. The one big thing I noticed was that when the car cranked before the new head it sounded more like a tractor engine... like you could head the whole engine moving. Now when we crank it, it sounds more like a winning noise. Like all you hear are the belts turning. The gears are turning but I am not getting a single spark. The only other thing I noticed was that there was a pretty good amount of gas in each spark plug hole... I am assuming I flooded it? Even after I got all the gas out it still did the same thing.
I know I am missing something here but I am out of ideas. SOMEONE HAS GOT TO KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG AND FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS THAT CAN HELP YOU FIGURE OUT MY PROBLEM.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
wait I'm confused. You are getting spark or your not?

If your getting spark, and fuel its going to be a timing issue of some sort. If your not getting spark then theres a world of possibilities.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THERE IS SPARK...Last night we lined everything up again but this time we lined the cams up so that when the intake cam was down on #1 the exhuast cam was up on #1. It still sounds like a wining but the spark plugs are staying dry now and it isnt flooding. If anyone has their valve cover off, or will take it off and can take a quick pic of how the cams look that would make this much easier

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I have a pic of the cams in the head at home im quite sure, will get back to you in an hour or so.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Sorry it took so long. I lost my phone memory stick a week ago, so I took out the camera and took a few new pics for you. Hope this is what you wanted.

If you follow the photobucket link, you will find more pics from different angles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts