Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys got in my car gt today to start it up and let it idle for a min and for some reason it will not start up it turns over all day but never will fireup and run.

turned it over for a few sec and smelled gas when i took the plugs out there were soaking wet and dripping gas off of them.

i left them out and turned the motor over to clear the cylinders then put the plugs back in and it acted like it almost wanted to fire up but then it got flooded again. and gas vapor was coming out of the exhaust???

whats the problem now?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you have spark at the plug wires? Start there and work your way back.

If you have spark then have a look at the battery. Fully charged?

·
Registered
410 Posts
You wouldnt get that much fuel if your problem was no spark, they would be damp, not dripping. It sounds like you are getting way too much fuel in there, but, Id still check for spark first coz thats easyest

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok yesterday i went and started tbhe car up it started up and had a rough idle at first but i revved it up and it cleared the cyclinders of all the extra fuel they had and then drove the car about 20 miles then came back to my house and had it idling in the drive way for about 30 min.

it would start everytime i turned the key yesterday...

BUT NOW TODAY

when i got in it today to go pick up some motorcycle parts the car wouldnt start it will just turnover but wont fire i pulled the plug wire off and checked the fire it had a spark.

so why wont it start?

·
Registered
410 Posts
So, you have spark, but, it wont start. Where are you checking for spark? I would guess it could be maybe a faulty sensor like tps or coolant temp. Inside the vaf there is a little spring that can come off what its usualy attatched to and touch part of the circuit that controlls the fuel pump, grounding it and causing the fuel pump to turn on, this could be a problem if your injectors are a little bit leaky. Could be injectors sticking, put a screw driver up against an injector and put the handle up against your ear to see if the injector is clicking. Could be a blocked filter or strainer.

If you rule out spark being your problem this is where it gets tricky/expensive. Id make sure I rule spark out as a problem 100% before I start looking at the fuel system.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the injectors click and are working properly.

yesterday i replaced the tps but the car was so flooded by that time i knew it wouldnt start so i let it sit overnight when i woke up this morning it started ran and did everything just like it should have.

how do i calibrate the tps i just kinda stuck in on there yesterday in what looked like the same spot it was in...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys i need help asap to get this car running. in one of my non turbo cars the ignition module went bad and cause a similar problem with that car.

do you guys think if i replace the module the car will start?

i dont know why it will start one day and not the next...

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Have you check that the plugs to the ignition coil and module plug is not corroded?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just checked it and none of it is corroded. i need help asap a guy is coming to look at the car to buy it in a week and i need it to start like right now...

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
checked your VAF or VAF connection?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok checked the the vaf and everything is plugged in all the relays in the box are plugged in.

i decided to try and reset the ecu so i went through the steps and then tried to start the car and it fired up for a sec and then cut back off.

i then unplugged the ecu and plugged it back in and i tried the started again it started and ran really rough until the excess fuel cleared itself from the cylinders so i drove it around for about 15 min and came back to the house cut it off and tried to start it again and it started just like normal.

any ideas??

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
bad ground or most likely bad ECU. swap to a known good one and keep tabs on it :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sounds like it has sorted itself out.
May have been that in the process of checking harness plugs and clearing the codes that you actually found the problem without knowing it.

Now that the cylinders are cleared just clear the codes again and let it idle for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sounds just like the problem I had earlier this year and it turned out to be the ecu in my case. I had your same problem with gas soaked plugs and a car that would'nt start but I knew it was getting spark and gas too. Check your ecu

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive swapped to another ecu and it still wont start.

but if i plug in the original ecu and turn the car over and then unplugged the small yellowish plug and plug it into the other ecu while the other two plugs are in the ecu a the car will start and run for about a sec then if i unplugg the rest of the original ecu and plug it into ecu B the car will start up and run just fine....

idk what the deal is but it will start everytime if you do that it's just not very fun to crawl into the floor at 6 oclock in the morning when its 30 degress outside to start your car

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok here is the starting sequence i have to go to to make my car run.

i have to turn the car over. then unplug the small yellow plug from the ecu and turn the car over again it will fire briefly. then plug it back in start the car and will start up and run. once it starts in the morning it starts fine all day.

but if it sits for a while and coils off i have to go through the sequence again.

any ideas what the issue could be?

i have not ran the codes but will tomorrow.

also i am replacing the muffler on this car mine has a hole in it. i am thinkin about buying a obx twin loop muffler on youtube it sounds very quiet with a low rumble. anyone have any expirience with this muffler or has anyone heard it?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts