Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I (and the MX6) are experiencing a rather peculiar problem which I haven't figured out yet. Maybe YOU can help..

When I start the car, the engine turns over not even a quarter turn, then EVERYTHING goes blank. All dashboard lights, nothing - totally black. When I turn the ignition key again, everything is still blank (and I mean everything) - no red battery light, no oil pressure light, no any-light imaginable in the dashboard. Then I'll wait maybe a minute and all of a sudden, the 'regular' dashboard/engine lights come back on when turing the iginition but still no starter cranking (none - not even the slightest). I can repeat the latter step many times but as stated no starter cranking. Then, maybe after 10 - 20 minutes, the car starts all of a sudden as if nothing had happened. This whole thing never happened when the car is warm, only when the car was parked for an extended amount of time (engine cooled down to ambient temperature). I am assuming it's not a thermal problem. I am suspecting the Scurity module may be triggering a cut-out switch (??) - not really knowing if there is one and also thinking that not every single light in the dashboard should go blank. Any suggestions? Anyone expereinced the same problem?

Thanks
Jochen

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey jochen, welcome to the board.
This post really belongs in the general/maint. forum not the lounge. Hopefully a moderator will move it prompltly so your question can be be better answered.

Sounds like u got a real problem on your hands. Im thinking maybe there is some kind of short in relation to the battery or starter. Im sure one of the gear heads has a real answer for you though. good luck.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
hello...

could also be your igniter and coil which is in your distributer. Just a thought, what do I know!
Cya.
Claeren.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Jochen,

It sounds to me like you've got either a bad ground connection or a defective battery.

Check and re-check the battery connections. Remove the positive and negative terminals from the battery, clean them with a terminal cleaner and re-connect. Make sure the clamping of the terminals is effective as you tighten the nuts. Coat the connections liberally with dielectric grease to keep moisture out. Check to make sure the engine-to-chassis ground is solid too.

Check the ground connection to the car's chassis near the under-hood fuse box; again, make sure it's not loose or corroded.

A defective battery may cause problems like you describe but usually, a battery will start a car normally one second, then the next the thing is dead, permanently. An internal short can develop, due to shifted plates or sulfate deposits, that can quickly drain the battery down. Yours may have something like this but intermittent.

My money is on a bad ground though. Do you notice any "whine" noise in your stereo speakers? Has the car ever been in a flood or an accident (on the battery side)? Has it been serviced or worked on recently?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the "Check Battery and Ground" suggestions. I will definately make sure that I have proper grounding and battery connections. What still puzzles me, though, is that as I stated above, after approx. 2 - 5 minutes, all dashboard lights come back on bright and shiny but the starter won't turn at all, not even a clicking nor any indication that the starter is drawing any amount of current (dashboard lights are not at all dimming). I would think that the starter solenoid when activated would at least draw some current. Because of that I figured that there must be a cut-out switch (Security Alarm related) that interrupts the connection to the starter. But I don't know the MX6 Security Alarm lay-out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is a starter kill on teh MX-6 security system but the problem you are having doesn't sound like it would be the culprit. It actually sounds like you may have a bad key cylinder in the ignition. If you have some electrical knowledge, or a friend who does an easy way to test it would be to remove the lower dash cover and gain access to the ignition wires. When you have the problem test the constant, ignition and starter wires with a multi meter to see if they are getting any voltage. If they are not and there is power going to the key then you know that the cylindar is bad and will need to be replaced. If you don't have any power to the cylindar at all then the problem will either be with the battery connections, or the main fusible links in the outside fuse box. Also check a 15 amp fuse int he interior fiuse box, I think it is labeled 'ign.' or something similar. If this is loose from having a wire tapped in to the fuse at the panel it can cause starting problems also. Found this out on a frined's Probe that had shotty stereo work done on it and when we removed the extra wires teh fuse clamps had been push apart enought htat the car wouldn't start properly.

Hope some of this helps.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was havin' the same problem not even 24 hours ago...sometimes it started & sometimes I had to 1) open the trunk 2) try to eject cd holder from changer 3) hop back into the car 4) slam door shut 5) listen for whirring of locks and then start the car. After the third or fourth try it would then start (don't ask me how I came up wit this! :eek: )
anyway, yesterday my little trick didn't work anymore so I looked around the garage & found a brand new battery that my mom got wit her Lex's new tires...:) Of course, it made perfect sense to me to replace the battery & it worked, but I'll be dammed if it wasn't a sorry-ass waste of time.
Moral of this story is try replacing the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts