Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, just got my 3 foot roll of (pseudo) carbon fiber trim. got it off ebay for 30 bucks (yeah i know...) and i'm planning to make my own damn dash kit as nobody seems to make it for the 1st gen. i was wondering if anyone was interested in a template so that they can do it for their car. its going to take a couple of weeks maybe but i hope to have a nice template ready so you guys can just buy the trim and then cut out the shapes using the template. i'm going to do it by hand, then try using a CAD program to get the exact dimensions (i knew engineering would come in handy some day..:)). if anyone is interested, keep a look out on the forum, i'll post when i have it ready. i think the best way is to scan my template, then send it via email to anyone who's interested. i was originally thinking of selling the templates (for like 5 bucks) as they aren't available on the market but after kicking myself for being a greedy ass, i'm going to give them away for free.....unless you insist on paying me..:) anyway, gotta run, wish me luck!

·
Registered
375 Posts
real carbon fiber

Thats cool. Im going to get my whole dash board over-laid in real carbon fiber( mine cracking bad, damn Texas heat). I have a friend who can over lay anything in carbon fiber. Im also getting my hood done. Hes only charging me for the material, he estimates around $200 for the dash and $400 for the hood. Ill post some pics whenever I get it done, sometime in the spring. Later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey importheadmp89, which part of texas are you in? since your car got its turbo rebuilt at texasturbochargers, i'm assuming houston? i'm in austin and i'm interested in getting the carbon fiber hood too. is that an entire hood or just an over lay on the the factory hood? reply to this post or just email me at [email protected] thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Importhead....

your friend is charging you for the carbonfiber overlay on your hood. For another 50 bucks you can get a brand new carbonfiber hood with 2 inlets that's the bulk buy going on now check it out. Just thought I'd let you know since you're thinking of doing your hood.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did that!

I did the same thing about 1 1/2 years ago or so with the faux carbon fiber trim. I will try to post some pics but it may not show up too well with my cheap ass digital camera. I found it easier to trim once it was already on the part.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hood

My bad, I ment to say a whole new hood made of carbon fiber, and overlaying the dash board. Redza I live in Katy, right on the border of Houston. Im getting it with no vents. Mazdaman are the vents exactly like the ones being made for the 2nd. gen.? Just wondering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm...katy huh? that's only a couple of hours away from here...how much would your friend charge to put in louvres or vents into it? it sounds like a cool idea but i'm not a big fan of the twin vent design that the 2 gen owners are getting on that bulk buy...it looks too much like an american car-style vent....i prefer a single vent like the impreza's. let me know and i'll see if i can beg/steal/borrow the money to get it! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
harry, well, its not really general maintenance now is it? i guess i should've posted it under appearance mods, thanks rendell! but i figured more people would read it and want to get that template from me. just doing my bit to help the guys out there trying to get a dash kit. didn't mean to offend anyone.....:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
vents

Hey Redza, Im not realy sure. It might be the same mabye even cheaper, since he's only charging me for the material. I plan on getting my hood done before June, cause I want to enter my car in the Mobil One Import Challenge- carshow. Ill post something before I get it done to see if anyone else is interested. Later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sweet, thanks a lot man! hope to get a fat internship over the summer so i blow it all on my car! i'll keep a look out for your post though...if you're even in austin, drop me an email a couple of days before so we can hang out or something.....:)

G

·
first of all the thread says CARBON FIBER DASH not carbon fiber hood, plus the hood is made of aluminum not STEEL. nothing on cars is made of steel any more. THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE MODIFICATION!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dude, why are you getting so bent out of shape over this?? you're not a mod here.....and even the mod didn't make a big deal out of it...yeah, it was posted in the performance mod section, and i've apologized but rendell has kindly moved it to the appearance section so i think its time you let it go....besides, you posted one in the performance mod section asking whether it was normal if the turbo kicked in at 3000 rpm!! if you don't know how a turbo works then maybe that should've been under general/maintenance? so, my point being, if you wanna start bitching about which posts should be where, maybe you should take this issue to the lounge section....everyone else who replied to this post are just trying to help each other out, which is what this site is for, not giving comments like 'THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE MODIFICATION!' oh, and if you really knew the difference between aluminum and steel, the you would realise that there are plenty of parts on the car that are made from steel.....so, 'judge not lest ye be judged yourself' - metallica

·
Registered
318 Posts
Harry J. Raynolds said:
first of all the thread says CARBON FIBER DASH not carbon fiber hood, plus the hood is made of aluminum not STEEL. nothing on cars is made of steel any more. THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE MODIFICATION!
redza said:
dude, why are you getting so bent out of shape over this?? you're not a mod here.....and even the mod didn't make a big deal out of it...yeah, it was posted in the performance mod section, and i've apologized but rendell has kindly moved it to the appearance section so i think its time you let it go....besides, you posted one in the performance mod section asking whether it was normal if the turbo kicked in at 3000 rpm!! if you don't know how a turbo works then maybe that should've been under general/maintenance? so, my point being, if you wanna start bitching about which posts should be where, maybe you should take this issue to the lounge section....everyone else who replied to this post are just trying to help each other out, which is what this site is for, not giving comments like 'THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE MODIFICATION!' oh, and if you really knew the difference between aluminum and steel, the you would realise that there are plenty of parts on the car that are made from steel.....so, 'judge not lest ye be judged yourself' - metallica
First off everyone makes mistakes. Posting this under Performance is understandable. But it is suited better under Appearance, and thus the move reflected this. Second telling someone nicely about their mistake is a good idea and is encouraged, but ridiculing them about it is not acceptable. If you have a particular problem or request, take it up with a moderator or admin, in this case, the moderator is me. Now, I want this dropped immediately, and let this serve as a public message to all, as to how to go about remedying a problem. This site is here to share knowledge, information and new ideas. If you want to cause problems and be an ass, then go to a Honda board.:D Carry on, and have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey rendell, thanks for the last post, i hope this will end straight away coz i think pretty much everyone on this board is trying to help each other out. anyway, like i said, i'm going to work on my dash as soon as i can, i'm not promising a kick ass template but i'll try my best. later!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts