Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I decided to drive the better mazda for a few days while i change bumpers back to stock and do some bodywork, and wait for headlights...

Thus i was able to take the carolla projector apart to make a new sheild, and also to modify the lens holder.

Heres the pics of them taken apart.

Problem #1

Notice here on the top of the lens holder there are 2 metal flanges. I think that these are reflecting light towords the bottom of the lens where the should be no light, thus causing glare. I am going to try painting them black first, and if that doesnt help, i will cut themm off totally.

Problem #2

Notice that the sheild does not come up to the centerline of the bulb. This causes the cutoff to be eliptical insted of flat, and also allowing more light to pass through the bottom of the lens that should not be there. That can also cause to the glare.

I will be cutting new sheild from thinner sheetmetal, so the cutoff will be razor sharp, and also to move the sheild up a few mm's

And lastly fully disassembled

And now the good part, These pics are comparing the Carolla Halogen projectors to my TSX prjoectors in my jspecs. ;)

Now you see why i love my tsx's

Yes, i know there is some glare on the TSX's but i cant help it, the projector sits so far back in the light and light reflects off the bezel even though it is painted black.

Also notice there is no cutoff whatsoever on the carollas...

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add, i lost my sheetmetal, and the store is closed so you have to wait till tommorow for the results of my tests. ;)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Very cool Stealth...I'm interested to see the final results.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
How it looks like the glass lens is the same as the regular reflectors on the angel eyes(looks thin). Stealth, you know I put HIDs in mine. The lenses are both cracked, but only with the ones on with the HIDs, the other two are fine(well one now). Could having the HIDs contribute to cracked lenses?

BTW, great job, looking forward to the results.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
g child, it might have been, because HID bulbs get alot hotter than regular halogens..

I dont see how heat could crack the lens though. Maybe a coincidence?

I didnt get to the store today, because i met up with kansasmx6 in South dakota....

Results asap.

Gchild, also if i get these working better you may want to look into a set. I may just buy a bunch and do the modification, and sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I may Stealth, but it may be more cost effective to sell the h7 hids, and get the Hellas and d2s as we discussed in a previous thread.

The only thing is that the Hellas were not adjustable(as per Djlockjaw's method), and these are.

I am also worried about the lens. I always thought that the hids ran cooler? If I get these, I may get some gts covers and cover them up.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Stealth said:
I didnt get to the store today, because i met up with kansasmx6 in South dakota....
and a worthwhile trip it was! one of you headlight experts needs to get some prjectors made that you can sell to me! for a semi-reasonable price, like your tsx projectors Nate, GIVE THEM TO ME!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, Gchild, if i get these things modified it might just be simple to keep your H7 kit, and use them with these projectors. So much easier, its fully aimable, and direct fit fot your kit.

Only problem is beam pattern, and im working on that.

Kansas, it was very worthwile, i threw the hood on the car looks excellent :D I hope that bumper is ok for you to fix up on ;)

I may also be able to work something out for you headlight wise....

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres the results of the modification.

This is with the seild moved upwards, and the little metal tabs cut off.

Now it actually has a cutoff instead of being eliptical. Also with the sheild moved it has alot more blue along the cotuff, and with HID could be lots of color.

(I got my bulbs and H7 to D2S adapters in, and my ballasts should be here early next week so i can get pics of these with HID)

The flares you see above the cutoff cannot be fixed. It is because the way the bowl is shaped.

Before

After

·
Registered
333 Posts
stealth, i think you know more than any mx6er on here bout headlight mods, you should really team up with a company to design some lights for our cars, i really appreciate all of the knowledge you have passed on to us throughout the years, you are an awesome member and ur opionions will always be welcome

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the comment. I would glady take part in designing headlights for us, but i have no idea where i could find a company that would be intrested.

We need something besides angel eyes and jspecs....

I would like to work something out where the headlight would have a H7 Valeo projectors so then the user can go halogen or HID and have excellent output either way...

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cant beleive the results i get when i put d2s HID bulbs in these projectors.......

Not only is it hid, but it gets rid of the nasty glare!

I definatlly recommend anyone going to hid with these. You can either buy a h7 kit, or get the d2s and adapters (d2s is brighter and more reliable)

Anyways heres the pics.

I mean the beam pattern isnt glorius, but it puts lots of light on the road and doesnt blind anyone..

Heres halogen stock

Heres it with xenon

Heres the beam pattern shots. There is some color, but it is along the sides, and not in the middle.... The cutoff is surprisingly good. Its nice and sharp, but there is some lingering stray light around it so thats why it looks blurry. I would like to get rid of the stray light, but i need to look into the problem deeper... I think its the shape of the bowl, and cannot be fixed.

20 ft

The color on the side

And a picture of off the light off with just the hid bulb sitting there... Shows how bright these little buggers are!

This was basically for fun.

·
Registered
595 Posts
TSX projectors are the shizzle, but the other ones might work better for the 1st gen. We already have a flutted lenses which doesnt do much for a cut off. The corolla projecters will bring down the chance were blinding people.
Which is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
384 Posts
hey can u make a list of all the parts, and where u got them. for the HID and Carolla projectors.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
98-00 Toyota Carolla Prjector headlights from ebay $80

A set of D2S ballasts from ebay. $175 and up dependig on brand and avalibility.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Infiniti-Q45-Xenon-Projector-Stanley-D2R-D2S-Ballast_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8018573012QQrdZ1

D2S bulbs from ebay $45 and up per pair depenign on what K temp you get. I would HIGHLY reccomend D2S, you will be tempted to go with a higher K temp, but you will have less light on the road and unreliable bulbs.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&mppfqy=D2S+bulbs&catref=C6&satitle=D2S+bulbs&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfQy=D2S+ballast&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=56308&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-New-OSRAM-Xenarc-D2S-Xenon-HID-bulbs-OEM-66040-LEXUS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8018124409QQrdZ1

And a set of H7 adapters Ebay $20

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&mppfqy=H7+D2S+adapter&catref=C6&satitle=H7+D2S+adapter&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfQy=osram+D2S+bulbs&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=56308&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

And you will need a relay to power the ballasts. I just paid 14 dolalrs for one at napa, you probablly can get one cheaper from ebay since you already order everthing from there as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PCS-12-VOLT-12VDC-30-AMP-SPDT-AUTOMOTIVE-RELAY_W0QQitemZ5835936358QQcategoryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SOOOOOO BOTTOM LINE TOTAL IS

350 plus or minus 25 AND the mx6 angel eyes.

Not bad at all considering i paid about 550 for my tsx's ballasts and bulbs ALONE. (then plus the cost of the jspecs, close to a grand all said and done)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts