Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, in light of my extreme boredom I had to build a Carputer.

Specs
PSU - 250w
CPU - 1.6GHz, with 512KB of L2 cache and a 533MHz front side bus in a 22mm2 package
Ram - 1GB, DDR2, 4-4-4-12 1.8v, 667MHz front side bus
SSD - 64Gb, Sata 2, 1500G shock resistance, 20G vibration resistance

I have not tested Power draws myself but another person posting on newegg says this case and mobo combination only pulls 34W of power. Still trying to figure out if I need a second battery of if the Optima Red Top can handle the heat.

Parts List.

Parts delivered

PSU removed for ease of MOBO install

The wrath of excitement.

MOBO Installation

Front Panel leads hooked up

Ram Installed

Test fit DVD Rom (cant install until 2.5 > 3.5 HDD adapter gets here)

PSU Installation and cable management (if you want to call it that :lol: )

The Little Dog chillen on top of the big dog (1TB HDD just chillen formating)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I will :) It will be going in the MX6. I still have that CF dash and TV but its only a 5.4" and I think I want to upgrade to a 7" touch.

I only receive the parts 4 hours ago I need at least a few days to get it mounted. Trying to decide if it will fit in the pass airbag location or if I need to stick it in the trunk. Trunk will be a bitch because I will need extensions on serial, video, and mouse. However it will be easier for power since the battery is already there and an mounting an inverter next to it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
you know that vga to svideo adapter probably wont work, right?

im in the process of building a carpc setup as well. mines based around a modified eeec but.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may or may not work. It was like 9 buckss :shrug: I will be using the composite most likely anyways.

This is what said in the item description.

Please, check your PC & Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector to ensure this cable will work for you!

The reviews were about 50-50. If it doesnt work I can not eat lunch one day and I will be up 2 bucks. :)

Im looking at power inverters now but Im not sure if it will be safe to run like a 150W inverter since the PSU is a 250W, even though the unit should draw under 50W easily.

Are those wattage ratings continuous, or are they "up to"

I would rather not run like a 300W inverter for a computer that is only going to draw maybe 40W max.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
That would be so cool. You would never need a laptop to use megatune. It would be permanently wired into your car and easily accessed through the touchscreen. :tup:

Edit: Is the case small enough to fit behind the dash somewhere? It would be so cool to have it molded into the dash. You wouldn't need a radio anymore anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to be keeping the radio just for ease of the speaker setup. It might fit in where the pass airbag is but definatly not in center console dash. Maybe I will consider removing the stereo because Im going to be removing all my vents and shaving those anyways (no heat or ac :lol: )

Its going to be hard to fit both the carputer and 7" screen in the dash :lol:

I have onscreen keyboard software that I use for work so that I can punch numbers into megatune without a keyboard. The mosue is strictly for navigating and clicking small items like the close window box.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the HDD bracket in today and wrapped it up. Fired it up but I dont have a regular monitor cable :cry: HDMI only :cry:

I will be installing windows tomorrow and getting software loaded onto it :)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fun toys I buy because I am purely bored at home. :lol: I am going to be joining a mens league hockey here on tuesday and wednesday to kill 2 out of the 5 boring evenings.

I just need a VGA cable and an inverter. Some USB extensions and it will be installed :)

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Interesting build. Im going to design mine so the case (which will need to be fabbed) will go in dash (atleast I hope).

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, there really is no room left in this case. It is designed to hold 1 more HDD on its side next to the PSU. Besides that it doesnt get much smaller than that.

I hope the 1.6Ghz single core will be enough. (for movies, easilly can handle MP3 and Megatune)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Everything a normal computer can do pending I have a screen large enough to see :) We will start with MS and MP3's and probably grab one of those graphical interfaces. I could throw a big hard drive in there but I am unsecure with the ride breaking the hard drive in like instantly. Now that I think about it this should have a problem pumping out some movies on a low resolution.

Edit - Got XP installed on it tonight, tommorow is software hunting time :) Got the inverter on order. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Cool stuff Stealth. I like your big rid. What case is that? I thought the P180 was the only one with a bottom mounted PSU. Nice watercooled setup though. I never had the balls. I just run a Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

How are you gonna type?!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts