Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 1994 mazda mx6. i have been driving it for about three weeks now. just recently it started saying its over heating i thought it may be the thermostat but somethimes the gauge just jumps from operating temp to hot then back to operating temp. the other day it didnt gradually go up to operating temp the gauge stayed at cold but after dirving a little it jumped to operating tempature. could this be the thermostat sensor? or the thermo stat? im hoping the head gaskets arent bad.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
When you say it's jumping, do you mean within a couple of seconds, or within a couple of minutes?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
does it over heat when you are stopped?

mine did the exact same thing, it turned out to be my radiator fans werent working.

Go out while the car is started and un plug your coolant temperature sensor (passenger side of the motor, right next to the fill spout). as soon as it is unplugged your fans will come on, if they dont, your fans are shot.
if they do, they fans are off the list.

btw, this will set a CEL when you do it.. dont be scared when you get in and the light is on :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i figured it out on now for some reason it wont take anti-freeze from the resevor so i just have to pour it straight into the motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts