Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently drove my car from Cali to Michigan, and did a major tune up. One thing I noticed was the cat converter started to melt inside, so I just took a long screw driver and hollowed it out, and welded it back into the system. Now I know it's illegal, and it comprimises some of my fuel economy, but damn my car has so much more torque its amazing. I out accelerate my brothers new Lincoln LS, my other brothers ex-cop car a 93 caprice, with a 350 small block and police package in it. Even from 70mph to 120mph is outragousely quick. PLUS it now has a sweet sound even with the stock muffler. I highly recomend this upgrade.

CONS- 1.One thing I noticed was I get a orangeish carbon build up on the outside bumper (my mx6 is white), but nothing a little simple green doesnt take car of. 2. The second con is fuel consumption. It's not a tereible, but slightly more than before, probally due to the emmisions O2 sensor thinks its okay to use more fuel becuase there isn't a high reading of CO2 in the system because it is blown out so quickyl since there is hardly no back pressure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I once read that hollowing out th cat convertor will cause engine damage on our cars. I hope this isn't true, or your in trouble!

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you want, instead of hollow out the cat, just buy a high flow performance cat. At way you can get performance gain and pass the smog at the same time. Probetalk.com just had a bulk buy on Random tech cats, it's a pretty good deal, and I also got one, check it out see if it's too late or not...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with doing what I did, is it causes the car to run rich on fuel, which can pose some problems on old tired motors, that aren't taken car of properly, but I know my motor inside out, with my eyes closed. I don't need to pass smog test now becuaes I moved to Michigan permantly, and Michigan doesnt test. Cali did, and I would have bought a performance cat if I lived there, but I don't, plus those things are pretty pricey. The cat converter is the most restrictive compont in a car, much less than a muffler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts