Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CEL turned on a couple days ago and when I took it in to get the codes pulled, they told me that it was PO 421 Cat warmup problem? He cleared the code and told me if it happend again that I wound have to take it to the dealer cause it could be a warrenty issue. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is the cat not working right??

·
Registered
452 Posts
Cats usually do not fail unless damaged by failure of some other part such as an oxygen sensor. I think your car is OBD II with an oxygen sensor in the cat. I would check codes and consider replacing that first. www.buyoxygensensors.com is the best place for the best price for direct fit quality sensors.

Pulling codes is not the final diagnosis. A smart mechanic knows that codes are a guide to determine which systems to check further. Obviously this guy was in over his head and referred you to the dealer. I would try a Mazda dealer unless you know a better independent shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason he said I might need to go to a dealer is because it might be a warrenty thing with it? Anyone ever hear of that.

Also the damn light came on again and went to auto zone to have it pulled since I was there looking for a bulb. its the same thing again. Another question we have been getting alot of snow and ice, would that cause the problem?

·
Registered
452 Posts
All cars have a 5 year 50,000 mile federal emission warranty which covers more stuff than you would think. Some things may be covered for a longer period. Check your warranty book.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy Happy Day!!!

Well I took my car into the dealer and well it turned out to be the cat. And my car was still under warrenty!!!!! I was so so happy I really didn't want to pay out 247 for a cat. Just wanted to tell everyone about my great day!!!:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
5 year warrenty..............

last MX-6 was made in 97......( besides the fact you have a 96)

your warrenty covered it.....

I don't understand.

is it covered for a longer period of time or what?

:confused: well... lucky you anyway :shrug:

SportZ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I found out the car was bought in 97. The guy at the dealer said it was an 8 year 80000 mile warrenty.
All I can say is I'm happy I didn't have to pay for it;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts