Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why it's illegal to take off/ or replace your Catalytic Converter before 50,000 miles. Not that i'm in the market right now, i don't even know what it does but, i just read that on carparts.com and was interested if anyone knew. Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It converts (I think) sulfer dioxins into less harmful products, Carbon Monoxide and H20. Ever been behind a car that smelt of rotten eggs? It's because their cat is bad or leaking. Some are worse than others. As far as removing the cat that depends on what state you live in... I think it is illegal in every state to remove them, but unless they make you check your emmisions like in CA, then I seriously doubt you'll ever get caught, you just may stink like you shit your pants... I'm sure you can find the answer in a search on-line.

[Edited by Gene/=/Splicer on 05-22-2001 at 10:33 PM]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Question

What is a catalytic converter and how does one work?

Answer

A catyltic converter is a device that uses a catalyst to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds.
The three harmful compounds are:

Hydrocarbons (in the form of unburned gasoline)
Carbon monoxide (formed by the combustion of gasoline)
Nitrogen oxides (created when the heat in the engine forces nitrogen in the air to combine with oxygen).
Carbon monoxide is a poison for any air-breathing animal. Nitrogen oxides lead to smog and acid rain, and hydrocarbons produce smog.
In a catalytic converter, the catalyst (in the form of platinum and palladium) is coated onto a ceramic honeycomb or ceramic beads that are housed in a muffler-like package attached to the exhaust pipe. The catalyst helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. It also converts the nitrogen oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

Cats.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i did not put my name at the bottom and say thati typed it. copy and paste is much faster. and i know how they work so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for all the information. but do you guys know why it would be illegal to replace or take off your converter before 50,000 mile, but after 50,000, it's ok? Again thanks for telling me what they do, but this 50,000 miles has me wondering why?
Sorry, but i have another quick question also, do converters help the performance at all, Say if i was going to upgrade, is it even nessary?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
METHooD said:
Ok thanks for all the information. but do you guys know why it would be illegal to replace or take off your converter before 50,000 mile, but after 50,000, it's ok?
In the US and Canada, Federal law expressly forbid the removal or disabling of devices related to emissions control. In the US the applicable legislation is the Clean Air Act. AFAIK, there is no 50,000 mile limitation on this. If I drive a 1975 Monte Carlo, it has to still have the catalytic (or a functional replacement) in place if it is to pass an emissions inspection.

Auto makers are required to warranty the emissions control systems on their cars for something like 5 years or 50,000 miles IIRC, but once this period is up, you can't (legally) just strip all the stuff off.

Now, as to replacing a converter before 50,000 miles, I'm not sure about that. According to the Clean Air Act, 207(c)(3)(a),

The manufacturer shall provide in boldface type on the first page of the written maintenance instructions notice that maintenance, replacement, or repair of the emission control devices and systems may be performed by any automotive repair establishment or individual using any automotive part which has been certified as provided in subsection (a)(2).

So, this section is indicating that you can replace, say, a converter as long as the replacement part has been approved and certified. I don't see any specific language saying you absolutely can't replace a converter before 50,000 miles. "Hedman Hedders" may just be trying to cover their asses.

I do see text, in section 203(a)(3)(a) that states:

[It is illegal...]for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person to knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser

You can read it in all its glory at

http://www.epa.gov/oar/caa/caa.txt

It's a pretty dry read though :D

Sorry, but i have another quick question also, do converters help the performance at all, Say if i was going to upgrade, is it even nessary?
No, not if the converter in your car is functioning properly now and isn't clogged or otherwise damaged. Replacing such a converter with a test pipe or high-flow unit will result in nominal (read "little") power gains.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Another Question.....

What is the stock length of our OEM catalitic converters on a 2nd gen Mx6 V6?????

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts