Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a friend that its either or but I don't belive him. I want to know if I can put on high flow headers (preferably borla) and Cat back at the same time. And if so which combination will be best for my 96 mx6 M edition.
I also wanted to install an engine pulley and agressive cams. What do you suggest?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,203 Posts
from someone who owns a 1g GT and has driven a 2g...i'd say sell your 2g and get a 1g GT :D:tup:

but being unbiased....i'd get the hotshot headers, a high flow cat and 2.5" piping all the way back. you can spend money on a mandrel bent pre-made system for lots more than one you can get made for you at your local exhaust shop for probably half the cost.

about the cams and pulley, i'll let a more experienced 2g person answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
For the cams most people just switch to KLZE cams. These are more aggressive but not aggressive to the point where idle will be heavily affected. A KLZE engine is the JDM version of our v6 engines if you didn't know. I'm not quite sure if they can also be used in the i4 or not. Someone else will have to step in there.

metros
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
It is not an either/or situation. You can have both on the same car. Headers - there are many brands so do some research and take consumer opinion. The I-4 you will only have 1 Header whereas a v6 will have 2 (both front and rear banks)

As for the cams, until you learn a little more about your car I would recommend the ZE Cams and have someone install them for you....while you watch and learn.

Now, I'm not sure if you know what exactly "headers" are, but they are the exhaust piping that comes directly out of the engine block and goes into the cat then on the other side of the cat you would have your "cat-back" exhaust.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,203 Posts
for the ZE cams, check the FS Forums. borla is just the brand...mandrel bending is pending the pipe without your typical pipebender you see in your neighborhood muffler shop. you're going to pay more....probably close to twice what you'd pay for a regular bent system at said muffler shop. unless your going turbo, you're more than likely not going to feel or see (at the dyno) much of a difference between, but your wallet will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
for the ZE cams, check the FS Forums. borla is just the brand...mandrel bending is pending the pipe without your typical pipebender you see in your neighborhood muffler shop. you're going to pay more....probably close to twice what you'd pay for a regular bent system at said muffler shop. unless your going turbo, you're more than likely not going to feel or see (at the dyno) much of a difference between, but your wallet will.
Mandrel bent is the same diameter pipe throughout as opposed to crush bent where the diameter around bends will be slightly smaller dependent upon the amount of degrees the pipe is bent. IMHO you will definitely notice a difference going from crush (stock pipe) to mandrel (ie: borla that is 2.25" - the same as our stock)

Turbo kits are around. I happen to sell them, probe addiction has them, tw motorsports has them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also thinking of getting a klze swap that will cost me about 3000 but someone told me that a jspec engines will not pass emitions test. Is this true and will a klze intake manifold give me and improved boost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
KLZE intake manifold and cams will both give you a boost in HP. The KLZE engine may not pass emissions, I'm not entirely sure, as it does not utilize EGR (a method that recycles some of the gasses into the system for more efficient burning). Swapping an engine definitely shouldn't cost 3000 if you learn about your car. Typically you can do it yourself using a friends hoist, but again - learn about your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I might just go with the turbo. Do anyone know of a good mazda experience mechanic that can install a turbo for a good price in the Maryland or brooklyn (or New York City) area?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,203 Posts
brian1182 said:
I think I might just go with the turbo. Do anyone know of a good mazda experience mechanic that can install a turbo for a good price in the Maryland or brooklyn (or New York City) area?
I'd say take your time (if you can) and do it yourself. You are already going to be experiencing downtime with it at the shop, and if you DIY then you can hand pick everything yourself (no canned ham) and make sure it gets done right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
I'd say take your time (if you can) and do it yourself. You are already going to be experiencing downtime with it at the shop, and if you DIY then you can hand pick everything yourself (no canned ham) and make sure it gets done right.
Plus you'll have the knowledge of how to fix it if anything goes wrong, want to change it, yada yada.

metros
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top