Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i have a question for everyone. my friend is coming home from college over thanksgiving. his mom has a 2000 cavalier Z24 automatic. he wants to race my 93 2.0 5 speed. (note, this is his moms car. he doesnt pay a cent on it, while im working my ass off just to cover payments). he claims he will "annhilate" me. my car is pretty much stock, but in good condition nonetheless. i just wanted to know from any of you guys what you think my chances are?

·
Registered
359 Posts
4 BANGER?

If you car is a 4 banger I don't think you will take the Z24. The Z24 has a v6 and more torch then your car. But for fun why not race him. You probily won't win but it always fun to race.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually, i raced an 89 z24 a couple months back. it had a 3.1 liter v6 ( i think... it coulda been a 2.8 though), and i stayed right next to him. of course, i wasn't all that great at a five speed at that point. just thought id add that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your right the Z24 is a 4 banger

I just checked a web site the Z24 does have a 4 banger with 150hp. So you might be able to take it then. ooops my mistake....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think i have some advice that can help... I have a friend with a Z24 1999 also auto which is basically the same as your friends and I Murder his domestic shit box everytime, but i also have the v6 auto. However with yours being a manual i presume you'll take him off the start and since you have more low end power you'll shut him up nicely when he finally crosses the finish line...

G

·
0 Posts
I think you can win

If you have the shift points down really well, and know your car, I think you can take him from a standing start. If you nail 2nd just right you should be able to keep up your lead enough to win, say, a 0-70 race. I've driven a 2.0L MX-6 w/5spd and a 2.8L Z24 (I think it was a '90)with Auto and I think they're both a toss-up off the line. I think the 2.8L V6 was rated at 150-160HP. Anyway, race him, but don't let him wreck mommy's car. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
go ahead and race, whats the worst thing that can happen....you'll lose...big deal. and if you do lose just tell him "what can you expect from a 4banger". and if ya win you can shove that same fact in his face!

T

·
0 Posts
the 2.8 v-6 is rated around 12x horsepower. my friend has a 90 with the 3.1 and it only has 140.

G

·
0 Posts
Only 120+ HP?????

tprobe93 said:
the 2.8 v-6 is rated around 12x horsepower. my friend has a 90 with the 3.1 and it only has 140.
I must not have been thinking of the 2.8L then...hmmmm...now I'm confused as to which V6 has around 150. Maybe I was thinking of the 3.4L, with 160HP. OOps, guess I muffed up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a 3.4 gm engine with 160 hp, and a mazda 2.5 liter engine with 164 hp. kinda tells you a little something about the strength of gm engines i guess :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
some of you guys just haven't gotten the point that he's racing a 2000 z24 with a 4 cylinder rated at 150 hp. and gm always sucked in the 80's and yes, in the 80's the z24's had v6's. but we aren't talking about them so get over it. a 4 cyl rated at 150 hp's. tells you something about gm engines. a v6 rated at 164 hp's. hmmm. two more cylinders for the 2nd gen mx6 gets only 20 more horses. hmmm. makes you wonder.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey, cool out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
getting a little off the subject isnt really grounds to be pissed off. i was just trying to emphasize the fact that the 2.5 is pretty well built, thats all. you could have just calmly disagreed with me instead of posting a big angry column.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but hey, its all good :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
sorry

sorry about that. its all good now. just had to get someone off the subject talking about the older model z's. they really suck and mx6's are always better. still don't have one. can't wait until a gt 5 spd shows up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool, man... we all need to hate cavaliers more in my opinion... honestly. theyre ugly uncomfortable and poorly built.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry but I have a story on the old z24. I was in my 90 GT with my gf of the time. I raced a guy in a then brand new z24. I think it was the first or second year with the 3.1. It was a short race because I saw he was not even going to stay close.

We took off from the light and by the time we were at about 50 I had almost two cars on him.

DONE!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah, the 80's and early 90's chevy's really aren't that great. my friend has a 1986 z24 hatchback with the 2.8 and i think he said he did the 1/4 in 17 secs...somewhere around there at 82? mph. i don't know. but the iroc-z's with the 5.7 liter v8, you'd think they would have quite a lot of power, maybe over 300 horses. nope, 220! it still beat the 5.0 mustang gt, which makes me happy, but still, i'd rather have a mx6 gt. and like i said, i'm still looking and cannot find. its frustrating.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts