Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. Ever since I removed the top part of the factory air box, cleaned the filter, and routed my aluminum dry duct vent intake to the factory intake box I've gotten a CEL light. The code that comes up is 33 and 172. I have a 95 4cyl auto and I've looked up the codes on the EEC-IV code charts (do these charts differ for 4cyl and 6cyl? I tried looking for a 4cyl chart of EEC-IV and couldn't find it) and found 33 to be "EGR did not open/ respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittently". I figured that it did not open intermittently because the CEL light comes on about a minute or two after driving and I cleared the computer and then diagnosed it and no codes came up (if it didn't open during the test when you diagnose then the code would have come up correct?) Then, code 172 is "Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S", I'm guessing this is the result of my EGR. Anyone know what could be causing this error? It's weird that it happened RIGHT after I was messing around with all my intake crap.. Maybe a coincidence? I really doubt it but my car does have 120k miles so it could be? I checked that hose that plugs into the factory air box, its in there tight and the IAT sensor is in the factory air box too. I've also noticed bad gas mileage and a loss of power. My idle is horrible (it idles at the first tick mark and is rough sometimes). I've heard that sometimes the EGR valve gets clogged with carbon and you have to stick a pin or something in it, I was looking for the EGR valve today but have no clue where it is. Can someone tell me the general vicinity of where its at? Do you know what else could be wrong? Maybe I knocked something loose when I was messing around with the intake crap? Thanks a bunch..

Jason

·
Registered
488 Posts
Try resetting the ECU and see if the codes come back. Disconnect the battery negative press the pbrake pedal for 10 second and let the car sit for 15 minutes, then hook the negative back up. Repeat this 3 times, if the code stays then it's real and you may have a bad O2 sensor. Not all that uncommon especially with the miles you have.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey. I reset my computer already but it still came back. Can it be the O2 sensor even though the code is 33 (EGR did not open)? You think its a coincidence how i put the intake in and the light came on or you think i caused it somehow? thanks

jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts