Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the car from cold, let it warm up, and leave work or home, the car seems to lack power in second only. Nothing serious. When I get on the 406, and go through the gears, and IF I sit at 3100 or better the CEL comes on for about 30 secs. No lose of power is noted. I hate lights coming on so I checked for codes, but there were none to be seen. It only does this per start up and won't light the CEL unless I shut off the car and let it go cold. Wondering if this is a O2 sensor going on me or does anyone else have a sugestion?

·
Registered
493 Posts
sounds like an 02 sensor, as other CEL stay on once lit, but 02s will go off afterwards.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It takes about 5 minutes at most to pull the codes on an obdI. Don't guess, be sure.
jump the TEN and GND pin in the diagnostics box, turn the key to on, without starting the car, and watch the codes flash out on the cel. Long flashes are the tens digit, short flashes are the ones digit. There will be a pause between codes.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your right

Nope, I did pull the codes. I didn't find any. I don't have much expirence with Mazda code pulling, but in a GM if the CEL comes on, there is a code there. This is why I found it odd that there wasn't any. I have a feeling it's an O2 sensor. The power loss in second feels like a lack of fuel but this goes away once the CEL goes out. I read in the Haynes manual (groan I so hate those books) something about the car runs in open loop mode untill the O2 gets to operating temp. Could this be why the cel comes on? Too much fuel?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If the light came on, there *IS* a code. You just pulled it wrong.

Read the thread I posted above word for word. If you did not see the CEL come on, pause, and then turn off while the TEN & GND were jumpered in the Diagnostics box, then you did it wrong. If you have no codes, it will come on, pause, and then shut off and stay off.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
God, it's cold out there

Ok,, I just came in from the cold, and boy is it cold. Still no codes. I followed the write up word for word and just to be sure, I pulled out he old haynes manual and did it there way as well. I also thought about clearing off the ecu and driving it again to see if the codes would show up. Regardless, I am going to replace the front O2 sensor as it's the only one that hasn't been replaced according to the previous owners records.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, the CEL came on and stayed on for a while then shut off. Anyway, I cleared the codes (or lack there of) and drove the car today. The CEL came on just like normal, and back off. Checked for codes one last time. This time it decided to be nice and give me codes. Codes 23 24. Replaced the rear O2 sensor and drove the car home after clearing the codes again and no more CEL. Car felt much better in second as well. Thanks to all who pitched in there .02 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts