Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change the dashlights to glow blue (the needles and numbers?)... I have no experiance with this, but thought it could look neat. is there bulbs behind there or what? I have a bunch of Ultra Bright Blue LED's....could those be used?

·
Registered
891 Posts
the blue l.e.d would just make it look white.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
haiyter said:
the blue l.e.d would just make it look white.
No it wouldn't, it makes it look blue... How do I know this, because I've done it.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Or, You could go to an arts and crafts store, buy some stained glass paint, and paint the bulbs. I did that in my last car, worked well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Heckler said:
No it wouldn't, it makes it look blue... How do I know this, because I've done it.

it does i have done it now i have white in there and they look white
you just have to take off the green flim on the back of the gauges

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey, sorry I totally forgot to look through the projects section .. actually i never knew there was one...and I searched but didn't find any but anyways.

I was searchin the net and would it be easier to buy some of these vs soldering in my own LED's? .... autolumination.com/194.htm
If so, would it be better to get the single or five led version? or would the incandesent bulbs be better?

·
Registered
324 Posts
i just bought the 194 ones cause i did not like the idea of soldering, you will need 3 194 blubs and one 74 blue i would suggest like the 4 or 5 led ones i had better luck with those. the only problem there is with them is with some leds you get bight spots and dim spots

i just changed mine to white so i have the full set of blue leds if you are interstead

also i would suggest you remove the green flim on the back of the gauges other wise they are not very bright and more greenish

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
yeah i just put blue bulbs in mine and they looks incredible(removed the green film) plus i masked off the kmH and x1000rpm etc) so all that glows are the actual circles and the two bars for temp and gas, looks sweet. i posted pics awhile back, not sure where they are though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how do u remove the green film I have the cluster off where is the green film I don't want to remove the needles cuz i'm scared i waill damadge them

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
the film is on the BACK of the gauges, you will have to remove the needles. just be careful, i was terrified the first time i did it, bu ti have removed mine like 20 times now, never broken anything. just pull straight off, and make sure you know where all your needles are before you start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i would think just plain white would be tight. but all the dash bulbs have a yellowish color, are there bright white bulbs that small? i know there are headlights, but what about dash lights?

·
Registered
324 Posts
my6isbetter said:
i would think just plain white would be tight. but all the dash bulbs have a yellowish color, are there bright white bulbs that small? i know there are headlights, but what about dash lights?
i am doing white in the gauges and in the climate control i will get a picture when i am done but i am not doing all the switchesi just think that is too much

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
fingernail poilsh remover and elow grease, be sure not to get it on the FRONT of the gauges or you will take it off too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
on the website with all the different bulbs and led's that killthelights put on, exactly which bulbs on that site do you need to change all of the lights on the instrument panel/gauge dash lights etc haha. i want led's instead of bulbs, but idk how many of what kind i would need. any help

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
this was actually one of the few things mazda made easy for us, all the bulbs you need to change to change gauge color are marke with the words Green and Illum. plus the piece they sit in is green plastic. easy as pie, post up pics if ya do it!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts