Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 V6 MX6 that i bought with an Automatic. I hated the jerky shifting and finaly i toasted the bands. It was either a new auto ($2000 +) or convert to 5 speed. Dealers said don't do it, But i found all the parts at a wrecker and did the sucessful operation.
There is quite a bunch of stuff to change, but i didn't have to change the computer. I just leave the 'Auto shift selector switch in Park' hanging on the side of the tranny and the computer doesn't care. Did a lot of tests before removing the auto. Make sure you can get the car to start with all wires disconnected from the Automatic.
Now i love my car. It Black, fully loaded with leather.
The automatic was made by Ford and weighted 1.5 time the weight of the standard.
Larry K.

·
Registered
483 Posts
congradulations!!!!

i was thinking about doing it for my first mx-6(1990) a lot of labor involved...I know that jason on the board wants to do it...did you do it yourself? did you get someone to do it?

anthony

G

·
WTG,, I'm waiting for my ATX to kaak so I can do it as well.

did you happen to keep a parts list?, or a procedure log?

Also, what do you mean by the switch hanging in park?

congrats man

Mike
93 MX6 Ls, leather, lowered, eibach, driver adjustable
suspension, phenolic spacers and other junk :)

G

·
I did that to my 4 banger too. I found a totalled Probe in a junkyard and got most of the parts for 300 from them. I had to buy axles and that was it. In the 4 cyl. I didn't have to change the whole master cylinder, I just changed the reservoir on top. There's also a bracket that the passenger side axle goes through, I had to get that too. What the other guy was talking about being in Park, the computer either has to think that your tranny is in park or neutral to start the motor. The bad thing about mine is, the cruise no longer works, and neither do the back up lights, I was thinking about putting a toggle switch in for the backups, but thought it would look tacky. It took about a week to do mine, I only got to work on it a few hours a day though b/c I work 2nd shift. Oh yeah, you gotta change the motor mount on the driver's side too.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WTG,, I'm waiting for my ATX to kaak so I can do it as well.did you happen to keep a parts list?, or a procedure log?

You need to find a wrecked probe 626 or MX6, and get the shifter assembley, complete transmision, Clutch pedal assembly, and upper motor mount. You also need the midshaft
drive shaft. The axles don't need to be changed though.

Its a Big Job. I did it my self, but i like a challange. Putting in the clutch pedal was the hardest. You have to cut the brake pedal too since an auto brake pedal is wider.

Larry kenny
[email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
ahh finally somewhere where i can ask questions about doing this kind of swap. i have a 4 cyl. 94 atx and now my tranny is starting to gimme problems and i would rather put out the money for a swap rather than another pos auto. can you please tell me exactly what you need and about how much you paid for everything ?? thanks a lot and also was it worth it ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts