Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new starter and solenoid today. However, once put back together the car barely runs.

To get the starter unbolted and removed I removed the following: air box and air flow meter and accordian tube, intake tubing (hard pipe) from intercooler to intake, vertical support member at the back of the engine (the one immediately toward center line of the oil filter and pump).

I thought every thing went back just as it had been removed. but it's obvious that's not the case...The car barely idles now - lopes pretty good. Almost immediately after startup the revs go to about 1100 or 1200 and then fall to what looks like 200 or 300 - on the verge of a stall. Intrmittent check engine light. If I can keep it running I think the over-boost alam is coming on at about 1000 or 1100 rpm...can't confirm this since I've never heard the alarm before.

One mistake I think I made was instead of pulling the wire retainer on the air flow meter plug and pulling the plug, I unscrewed the two mounting screws and tried to unhook it that way until I found that attached wires prohibited this means of removal...I stuck everything back in and reattached the screws.

I think I looked it over for unhooked vacuum hoses or tubes but didn't find anything...

Can anyone provide input and advise?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You didn't exactly say what she is doing. Is the car sputtering. I think you were supposed to change the starter from underneath the car that's what I did and it was pretty easy. Anyway, I would recheck all the connections again and make sure that none of the intake hoses are cracked TB boot and so on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Make sure you didn't rip the boot to the throttle body. Re-check the connection at the MAF. Good luck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'll actually idle o.k., but a little rough.

However if the accelerator is touched, it tries to die (acts like there's a choke problem), but with feathering of the throttle I can keep it running. Then the symptoms I described earlier set in... erratic rpm, very rough running, overboost alarm (I think).

With the hood open I can hear a vacuum sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the intake plenum. If I rest my hand on the driver's side end of the plenum, on the "2.2 Turbo Intercooled" label, the sound is muffled. Crap, do you suppose I could have cracked the intake? I did have to do some wrestling with that vertical support member.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys but I found that I f*#@ed up the air flow meter. I attempted to disconnect it in an incorrect manner and ruined it.

With everything connected, the runs like hell, as described above. However, with the the flow meter disconnected and car in its "fail safe mode", the idle smooths out, the rpms come back to 750 and it runs... not good... but it runs. While its running, if I plug the flow meter back in, the car runs like hell again.

If any one is interested or wants to give me ration, I tried to disconnect it my removing the two little mounting screws and pulling its guts out instead of removing the little wire retainer and unplugging it as any moron would think to do.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I still dont understand how you people are able to run the car with the airflow meter disconnected! The fuel pump wont (well, it's not supposed to) turn on without it!

·
Registered
711 Posts
It will go into Fail Safe mode. I believe that there is only a fuel pump cut-out in the MAF. Could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts