Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a Repco fuel filter ($34 compared to $110+ for the Mazda genuine part, fark that off), now I need to replace the old filter. Do I just unbolt the filter harness, then take off the clamps on both sides of the filter and remove the filter, then replace everything in reverse order? Is it necessary to remove the fuel pump relay and wait for the car to stall, or can I just remove the fuel cap so the pressure in the fuel line escapes? I dont really want fuel spraying everywhere. Thanks in advance :D

James

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I did this not long ago I just put a small container under the fuel lines theoretically you should remove the pressure from the lines but I lost less that 20ml of fuel so didnt bother me...and yes all you do is remove the harness, depressurize the line if you want to, remove the clamps, remove the line then install the new filter in the reverse order.

Reactions: MX-SIK

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
disconnect the fuel pump, relay, wiring connector under back seat, whichever until the car stalls

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheres the fuel pump relay located? Will removing the fuel cap have a similar effect?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
edit- WRONG! HAHA

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The fuel line is pressurized not the tank..

I have never done the remove relay & idle method as you should..

As long as the car isn’t hot I just whip it out and have a hose standing buy..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mazda fuel filter prices must of skyrocketed throughout the year. I bought a mazda one at the start of the year for $38. Also if you don't want to worry about taking out relays etc to depressurise just leave the car overnight or more then 3-4 hours and you should be fine to change it then.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh I left it for a couple of hours and it was fine, accidentaly tipped the filter on its side when I pulled it out tho, but no fuel sprayed out of the lines like I thought it would. Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, did yours keep dripping out fuel for a while after? Mine didnt seem that clogged actually. Id like to cut it open and have a look, but thats just a tad dangerous :D

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
pjayb in another thread said:
I've been using the 2000-01 V6 Rodeo filter for the past year, as its equivalent to the FRAM one the americans use plus it floats (have blaster coil in the filter bracket). higher flow rate, and is only $10.
I still haven't got round to buying one.....maybe Friday

·
Registered
221 Posts
whoa... so where is the fuel filter? Is it in the engine bay? that thing under the cruise control? otherwise I can't find it/

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
All I did when I changed my filter was undo the cradle, take the old one off and put the new one on. I do need new rubber fuel lines though, I get a bit a petrol smell from the front of the car on hot days now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry to bring back an Old Thread, but do you need to remove the wheel and splash guard to get to it? Or can you get to it from the top-- If so i can't figure it out..
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
well while this thread is back i might as well ask
crusty said:
Quote: Originally Posted by pjayb in another thread

I've been using the 2000-01 V6 Rodeo filter for the past year, as its equivalent to the FRAM one the americans use plus it floats (have blaster coil in the filter bracket). higher flow rate, and is only $10.

I still haven't got round to buying one.....maybe Friday
has anyone tried that filter? Fram part # : G7393 is the number i got on the US forum but has anyone tried this filter before? someone said it sucks, other people say it flows better. whats the part number?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts