Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of months I'd been experiencing engine tick, maybe HLA's but not sure. I had been using cheap supermarket fuel. I read that Shell fuel came out best in a scientific test so I switched. I didn't really expect any benefit but after 2.5 tankfuls of running this fuel over a long journey my engine just stopped ticking! not even from cold. I hadn't even got round to chnaging the oil and filter yet which is recommended to quiten HLA's. Anybody experienced this? I thought I must share this.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
it didnt quiet down your hlas.... more probable.. you had some dirty ass injectors, and what you heard were the pintles snapping open and closed, encountering the crust at the tip. Cheap gasses often lack a lot of the detergent qualities a decent gas will. Chevron/Texaco gas, for instance has some of the best detergents on the market, for instance... you get a more concentrated formula of it when you buy their (chevron) fuel injector cleaner (among the few fuel injector cleaners actually worth buying)

other possibility is the cheap gas was "watered down" - quite literally, old or poorly sealed underground tanks allow the gas to absorb moisture and it effectively lowers the octane... often enough to hear audible knock and in some cases (with my old finicky plymouth) make the car buck or stumble when accelerating.

More than once i've thought i had a problem when it turned out just to be a bad tank of gas (in nyc, you have a ton of rotting tanks at independant stations, so you have to be careful where you buy.)

good job though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have been using chevron in my mx-6 and i haven't really paid attention to that before. i'll have to listen for that next time i fill up. thanks for the good info on gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts