Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
In addition, Pennzoil Synchromesh or GM Synchromesh are highly recommended replacement fluids. They help reduce the griinding when shifting, and make it easier to shift. Both are safe for brass synchros, too.

Personally, I have used Redline and Pennzoil and both work well. I have also used Valvoline Synthetic something, and it was TERRIBLE.... made it very hard to shift.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
There is a 19mm bolt (I think thats the size) on the bottom of the tranny, its easy to see as its in between a crossmember. That is you drain plug. Drain all the fluids out then replace the bolt with a new washer.
To fill, there is a bolt (same size again) just above that one on the side of the tranny. Undo that bolt and use a funnel with a long tube extension to feed the fluids into the tranny. Once it starts to run out of the bolt, it is full. Replace the bolt and take it for a drive.

I used Royal Purple 75W90 in my tranny. Stuff is awesome and really helped smooth things out. I have a short shifter and this fluid made it shift really easily. I'll be changing it out next year again with the same stuff, but this time I'm going to add in some Lucas to the mixture to make it even better.

Good luck with the fluid change!

-Matt

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
^^ surprized that stuff worked well for you in canada with your winters. I'd suggest trying penzoil syncromesh before you dish out more for royal purple. the difference you felt was probably over the old stock fluid. syncromesh glides like butter in cold starts.

Edit: i read it and it seemed a little harsh. just letting ya' know i'm not attacking :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
i think the bolt is larger than that.. i cant remember the size off the top of my head but its bigger (21mm maybe)

·
Registered
138 Posts
When you replace the fluid shouldn't you relace the filter as well? - Isn't the filter just as important as the fluid?:)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
no filter on a mtx. auto's use a completely different system which involve gears inside one another (i think they call it a planeterium or something like that) if one of those seize cuz of a piece of metal, your transmission wont work which is why they need filters

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Yes its 2.7 litres .. and the fill plug hole is your level indicator, no dip stick... so to do it correctly, you need to have the car level and watch for the oil overspilling back out of the full plug hole.. once it does, stop and replace bolt.

Oddy.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
AAlonzo said:
^^ surprized that stuff worked well for you in canada with your winters. I'd suggest trying penzoil syncromesh before you dish out more for royal purple. the difference you felt was probably over the old stock fluid. syncromesh glides like butter in cold starts.

Edit: i read it and it seemed a little harsh. just letting ya' know i'm not attacking :D
I didn't see it as an attack, so your good!

As for the winters part, I don't drive mine in the winter, but I can understand where you are coming from. I've heard good things about the syncromesh, so I might have to try that next season.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I4MX6 said:
I used Royal Purple 75W90 in my tranny. Stuff is awesome and really helped smooth things out. I have a short shifter and this fluid made it shift really easily. I'll be changing it out next year again with the same stuff, but this time I'm going to add in some Lucas to the mixture to make it even better.

-Matt
Or you could just go with the Lucas Gear Oil! Working very well for me.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
That was my other idea. A little Lucas and Royal Purple might work...will see when the car comes back out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.