Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to change my wheels but it didn't work. I removed all the old lug nuts and the wheel was clearly off the ground but i still couldn't get the wheel to come off or even budge. This was the left back wheel. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yep. Make sure the car is very well supported and the opposite wheel is chocked to keep the car from rolling.

Now, stand and face the wheel in question. Turn 180-degrees so you're facing away from it, then bring your leg up and literally kick at the wheel near its edge. Try fairly gently at first to see if it will come loose, increasing the force to the point the wheel pops off.

The wheel has actually corroded itself to the hub and kicking it will break the corrosion and free the wheel. It will be worse depending on how long it's been since the wheel was last off. Again, make sure the car is stable and well supported before doing this; you don't want to jar the car so much it falls off the jack :D

When you put the new one on, smear some anti-seize compound on the hub and on the lug nuts to keep them from corroding again. Re-check the lug torque after a hundred miles or so...

·
Registered
78 Posts
looks like you got the old corrosion problem. I had the same problem with my old Acura Legend. Follow the steps huangy suggested and you should be good, except for one thing he said:

When you put the new one on, smear some anti-seize compound on the hub and on the lug nuts to keep them from corroding again.
Sure go ahead and put some anti-seize on the hub but DO NOT put it on the lug nuts! Unless you like chasing your wheels down the highway after they loosen themselves up and fall off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts