Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my car, the charge light comes on as it should, but it does not turn off unless the rpm's hit close to 3000. Could this mean that the battery is going or possibly the alernator?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do check your end points or the battery connecting points/terminal and check for corrosion. If so, replace if needed. Also, there is a possibility that the battery is not pumping out enough juice, check for that as well

regards,

mez

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
Since you say that it goes off after you rev it to 3k, I'd say the alternator isn't putting out enough charge. This can be caused by a couple things a) Alternator is on its way out b) belt isn't catching the alternator completely (but since you didn't say you could hear the belt squeaking, this is probable not it) c) one of the connections from battery to electro-mag isn't quite right, weakening the strength of your mag field (which translates to check the wires going from battery to alt, I'll let you know which one it is if you can't figure it out)

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
wierd...i can't edit my post...anyway, if someone else can think of anything else, post up.

Reactions: Xzinum

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
you can take off the altenator and battery and have them tested at a local parts store to see if one of them is bad

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well there was major corrosion on the battery terminals, i did a minor clean up on it... I just moved so i don't have my tools unpacked yet so I couldn't get the terminals off, they are on really really tight. I think I may start by replacing those because they are pretty beat up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is the problem. I had to learn the hard way. Also after you install new terminals, check the battery for proper voltage.

There is a strong possibility that your battery is dying too

How old is the battery?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't be surprised that after you install new terminals, your car will start no more! That is when you shed out another $110 for a battery

Peace

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
napalm said:
Don't be surprised that after you install new terminals, your car will start no more! That is when you shed out another $110 for a battery

Peace
Why would installing new terminals result in a dead battery?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Because when your terminals are corroded, the battery pushes out less power, hence your charge light coming on.

However, when you install net terminals, your battery pushes out enough power needed to power your whole car.

What I am trying to say is that your battery could already be dying, but because of the corodded points, it seems as if there still is juice left in the battery when there isn't infact. The corroded points make the battery pump out less power. But when these points are changed, you might see the real battery performance if is not dying or dead already.

Hope that made sense.

Regards,

napalm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This makes sense. But it's almost winter so if my battery is pretty dead anyways, now is probably the time I should get a new one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Batteries are pretty costly, so before you decide on getting a new battery, have it checked first.

Its always good to test the battery when in doubt. Most shops do it for free

1 - 15 of 15 Posts