Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am a newbie to this site so here goes...
I have a '94 (V-6, 2.5 ltr.) MX-6 with 77K miles on it. I am beginning to hear a lot of chatter beneath my valve covers. I recently changed my oil (it also got a little low)and the noises SEEMED to get worse. I know the manual states that hydraulic valves require no adjustment but SOMETHING got out of whack to start making the noises.

Any comments from the MX-6 fans would be appreciated.

[Edited by pvour on 11-22-2000 at 05:12 PM]

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 93 LS and I bought it at 90,000 miles. My Valves started sounding a bit scary at about 100,000. Ive found that it tends to be a common prob. The only situation i've had is a blown valve cover gasket. This is not to say that there is nothing wrong but it my just be some ware. And not only do they not need adjusting but you cant adjust them. Also make sure you dont use synthetic oil. Natural good, Synthy bad:) If you want a good jerry rig fix try running 50/50 93 octaine and 100LL(plane gas).
BEST ADVICE IS ALWAYS FROM A TRUSTWORTHY MECHANIC!
good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just out of the shop!

I had a similar noise which I thought was coming from my valves or some other internal engine part... I did the same.. immediately changed the oil. The noise didnt subside. I kept driving and one day about a week later I was racing a coworker of mine MX6 to MX6 from a light and when I spun the tires I noticed a large loss of power.. when I hit second I noticed another large loss of power. The sound was now a double chattering sound. The car went into the garage for about a week to save some cash up and on to the shop it went... The mechanic found that the belt tensioner was causing all of it!!!! I was sooooo relieved!!!! I was almost positive the chatter noise was coming from inside the engine. A buddy of mine a few days ago let me in on a tip to locate engine noises a little better. You take a piece of hose, put it up to your ear and probe over the engine to locate the exact location of the noise. You may want to try that and see what you find. Like I said my engine noise turned out to be something much cheaper to fix... I hope yours is the same!

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the case of HLA's

Here is a quick TroubleShooting Guide for HLA'S for ya man just in case you dont get lucky with the belt tentioner or timing belt deals.

Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
HLA Location.. just in case you need....

Oh yeah.. here is the general location of the HLA. If you need any more copys from the Mazda Workshop Manual just let me know and I will try to hook you up.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
As the ever infamous Factory Mazda Manual. If you don't have one spend the $40 on it it's a life saver.

HD why wouldn't you run synthetic? That's all I run and I don't have any problems with my HLAs at all and the engine runs a little smoother than it did on dino oils.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ticking noise? My engine makes a noise like ticking at idle, but it's extremely quiet and it sounds like a normal engine sound. I usually can't hear it unless my hood is open, and I always thought it was just the cam or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I used synthetic for a while and a mechanic told me that the engine would run better and last longer on natural. So I tried a switch. The oil looked better at change time and my engine quieted. I think we will all see differences in our individual cars even if the specs are the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts