Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for suggestions on cheap insurance company/brokers in Ontario...my current company is dropping me in December because I've had 5 speeding tickets in the last 3 years (ah, the joys of a sporty car) and any more than 3 is uninsurable to them (funny, no accidents, DUIs or any other marks on my record at all). Apparantly that makes me insurable only to certain companies...so if you're in the same boat as me it would be great to know what company you're with so I can get a quote and even if you have a good record and like your company would be great to hear so I can at least inquire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think there was a thread about this already, but anyway....Bel-Air direct has been very affordable. Although I do have a clean driving record. I'm not sure what rates they would offer you but it may be worth checking out. The quote I got from them online was the same price I paid when all was said and done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll admit guilt in not searching for this before posting...Belair is the company that's dropping me for more than 3 tickets, so they're out. So far Pasco has the cheapest rate for me by $800/yr, all the rest were about the same. Will keep looking with any other recommendations.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone who's interested (maybe not, based on the responses, but in any case..) even though I was quoted around $180/mth through Pafco for just my MX6 by several brokers (they told me I didn't qualify for multi-vehicle discount and the rate would double when I added my Jeep back in spring) a broker called Powell got me the same 180 rate with Pafco but somehow worked a MV discount so I'd "only" pay 293/mth with the two cars on...so I went with that. Not great, but maybe it will help someone in future!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, that's what they would be expecting...

Actually the name is what my dad called my very first car, a 91 Protege in grey-silver. It had 400k and "like a bullet" he said nothing could stop it. It was my name on the Protege forum, and I just carried it through to the MX6 and Jeep forums because, well, I'm lazy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No, that's what they would be expecting...

Actually the name is what my dad called my very first car, a 91 Protege in grey-silver. It had 400k and "like a bullet" he said nothing could stop it. It was my name on the Protege forum, and I just carried it through to the MX6 and Jeep forums because, well, I'm lazy.
Ha ha Thats pretty cool. I love those Proteges. I was just wondering because i have a Silver `91 MX6 GT and I have refered to it as the "Silver Bullet" before. I was seeing if you had one too. Not too many of them left anymore.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would qualify more as a bullet than the old Protege! That thing was a tank. I used to have a Sapphire Blue '88 GT and that car was a LOT of fun. Unfortunately I had to switch insurance companies and they wouldn't cover it as it was more than 20 years old, d'oh. Not sure what the reasoning was there, but I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
my dad has never have an accident, had insurance for over 50 years, never made a claim, or nothing. He was a professional truck driver, and has a clean record, and his insurance went way up this past month.. And it goes up every year for no reason. So he just switched to a private insurance guy and was able to get a break.

BTW, ever hear those commercials where they say your insurance can be cut by 15% if your over a certain age with a clean record.. He called them and they quoted him more then what his rate was already. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am with bel-air here ......I get it for cheap I think its like 70-80 a month yes only that ......but I am only covered one side and not covered for damages thefts or anything else. And under 25 years of age.

But I can tell you one thing about bel-air......already got 2 claims with them......but none at fault .....
The first one took 1 year and 2 month to finilize and I did not win that one....so was put under the rug and we dont speak about anymore and it does not affect my insurance cause its not on my license..
Second.....this one is for the mx6 got into a fender bender someone back into me on the passenger side.....got if fix took 4 months to get it in the shop with bel-air.
Now this append in september 09 and we are Feb 2010 and the work is not complete .......there are things that still need to be done and bel-air does not call me back....

On top of that when I got into my accident because I have 2 cars they were telling me that I can not have a rental and my other vehicule is to be used.........Im sorry I flip out....I am paying 2 premium one is a everyday car and the other is once in a while.......so......there were telling me to take my car to work and all while the other is in the shop.....well took me 1 week and 3 days to convince them to give me my rental.........

All goes to say bel-air is cheap......but I had nothing but problems when you ask to have something done ......other then the price Bel_air direct are the worst company I have dealt with.

But cheaper right ? your choice ....still with bel-air here but hopefully will find someone else soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am looking for suggestions on cheap insurance company/brokers in Ontario...my current company is dropping me in December because I've had 5 speeding tickets in the last 3 years (ah, the joys of a sporty car) and any more than 3 is uninsurable to them (funny, no accidents, DUIs or any other marks on my record at all). Apparantly that makes me insurable only to certain companies...so if you're in the same boat as me it would be great to know what company you're with so I can get a quote and even if you have a good record and like your company would be great to hear so I can at least inquire.
With this type of driving record - brace yourself for a lot of hardship. You have fallen into the "high risk" or "hard to insure" category. Only certain companies, such as Perth, Economical, Polar, and some others offer "high risk" auto insurance. The premiums are very high and may run as high as $550 a month in addition to a one time payment of about $1,000. I have been with Economical. They seem to be the cheapest - $340.00 a month and my premiums go down every year for keeping my current record clean. But it takes years of being in "high risk" market to be able to switch back to the "regular" automobile insurance market. A "high risk" insurance coverage may only be purchased through certain brokers. So you have a lot of comparison shopping.
Good luck - it is a nightmare. Auto insurance in Canada is ridiculous and unfair. The insurance companies only want you to pay premiums and only deal with clients with no tickets or claims. God forbid if you have one - you are an outcast forever.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm happy to see my thread revived, and I might as well comment on my eventual experience with the "high risk" insurance: I went through a few brokers and found the lowest rates at a company called Pafco. As with all in life, you get what you pay for but since I had no claims with them I can't say how good or bad they were. Of course I asked for the lowest liability possible gambling that no one would sue me for higher than that amount (buyer beware). I also denied all the other pesky kinds of insurance since my car was long paid off and not that valuable by then. If you're on MX6.com, I'm betting your car is a 97 or older ( I have ESPN :D ) and yours is equally undeserving of collision and theft insurance as mine.

I looked up when the tickets would drop off my record (3 years after you pay them or have your court date, not the date you received the ticket...you can get a report from the MTO that tells you the dates). As soon as I had only a few tickets (3 I think) and I could go back to Belair and enjoy their cheap rates I did. Sadly Belair won't START insuring a car over 20 years old (found that when I attempted to insure my 88GT).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts