Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey for those of you on a budget, and not really all to concerend with passing inspections (i don't have to get one in MD!!!) i have a great idea...

my muffler rusted off right where it meets the exhaust piping, an di don't have like $500 for a new exhaust, so i went down to my local trak and got a 2 foot piece of straight pipe and a tip. Less then $20 and it sounds like a sportbike on roids! Specially when it shifts and the clear lack of backpressuse is noticed!

G

·
If you really want to give your car some balls replace the cat converter with a glasspack and upgrade the piping to 2.25" and redo the intake with a nice big cone filter (of course route it to get cold air). The rumble of the glasspack and sound of intake together would be pretty nice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok

well if you like the piping thats cool but
you need some sort of muffler for the right
amount of back pressure. i wouldnt be surprised
if you got a less amount of power compared to
other exhaust systems. but if that works for
you, cool. just want to let you know there
is a loss of some hp.
Late.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The cat and length of piping itself creates enough flow restriction to prevent reversion and valve burning. People who burn their valves are running open headers on the track. I really don't like the term "backpressure" because that tends to indicate that a force is pushing back up the exhaust pipe, when it's not. "Flow resistance" is a more accurate term. And only a small amount of flow resistance is necessary to run the engine optimally. Of more importance is the size and shape of the exhaust which determines the resonance characteristics. Resonance deals with wave pulses, anti-wave pulses, and their echos. Resonance can either create reversion (where a little exhaust is pushed back up into the chamber) or scavenging (where the exhaust is almost sucked out of the chamber). All depends on the tuning...which can only reall be done by dyno testing over and over. But, a free flowing exhaust is preferred either way.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey zakaron, thats what i did to my 6. But i left the cat and replaced the muffler with a straight glass pack. Its really nice sounding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts