Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pose this question to you science/molecular biology/car genius/NERDS. Ever since the fires started here in SD I've been getting CEL every once in awhile, I havent pulled the codes, as I attributed it to driving through areas of higher smoke concentration, thereby having somewhat of a depleted oxygen concentration in the air......either that or it is my newly installed DSM bypass :lol:.....either way, what are some of your thoughts on CEL and lack of usable oxygen in the air due to things like fire?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
which brings me to my next thought, some type of rig that uses an actual oxygen tank to deliver actual concentrated REAL oxygen, rather than polluted crap
Umm, read up on what Nitrous oxide is, how it works, and what it does

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
And I am sure Dex knows that. You would hook up O2 just like you would nitrous.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
nitrous oxide is a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen. the reason why this mixture is used is becuase oxygen is too much for your engine to handle. so nitrogen is added as a buffer. to dilute the oxygen. that way you have the correct amount of oxygen put into your motor safely.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
To answer your question sixsick I really don' think the smoke has anything to do with a CEL. When half of the colorado mtns were burning down a year or 2 ago I never had such problems and I was practically breathing smoke everyday, I could see the fires like 100 miles away too.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
understand completely, however, my question didn't have anything to do with nitrous, it clearly stated oxygen.
And I am sure Dex knows that. You would hook up O2 just like you would nitrous.
Hence the reason I said go look up Nitrous oxide. Pure 02 would destroy your engine, you would have absolutely no way of controlling the explosion. Moltar is correct.

So like I said before read up on Nitrous Oxide, what it is, how it works, and what it does.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
SixSick6 said:
I wasnt thinking of a direct injection, more along the lines of a line running into say your cone filter
That recipe is called LEAN. And you know where that takes us.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of upgraded fuel allready in order, say 440 OR LARGER injectors and a 255, there are alot of problems with tweaking to get it to run properly. Granted rich is better than lean (you actually run better lean, but run a high risk of blowing your motor) but stoich is better than both... I started thinking of the somewhat depleted oxygen issue in the air, and right next to me was an O2 tank ( I work at a hospital )...and the thought crossed my mind, HMMMMMM? O2?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
SixSick6 said:
I wasnt thinking of a direct injection, more along the lines of a line running into say your cone filter
OK great idea, do you have an oiled cotton filter? :muhaha:

Do you have any clue what pure Oxygen are capable of?
It can make oil or grease self ignite, it cam make metalshawings burn like wood, and whats worse it can make an gasoline or Diesel engine act like its run on TNT.:p

I did once hear a sad story about a guy who got a brigth idea about blowing dirt of his worksuit with compressed air,since an oxy welder was close at hand he tougth that would do the trick. he blows his clothes clean with oxygen and ands up as a fireball a few seconds later when he fired up a sigarette.

(just in case someone didnt got it. it aint the oxygen it self who are burnable, but it makes it a lot more easy too get stuff too burn or explode , like a worksuit or gasoline

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Dex said:
nitrous and o2 tanks have it for the same reason. both contain pure oxygen, which is an amazing accelerant, but not flammable
As stated before nitrous does NOT contain PURE Oxygen
Im no expert in Nitrous but i would be surpriced if Nitrous have more than 30-35% Oxygen (just a few % above the air we breaths ) the rest is Nitrogen wich is close too inert. the Nitrogen are added too make the reaction with flammable agents less violent.

As you pointed out, Oxygen are not flammable by it self, but it makes surpricingly many other substances flammable even if they usually are not too easy too burn in regular air.
(as the above metioned worksuit wich wouldnt have burned that violent if it havent been blown full of oxygen)

oil and grease wich just oxydizes in regular air can instantly combust when exposed too pure oxygen, this is why anyone who learns too weld get repeted warnings about keeping oil and grease away from oxywelding equipment
(thats also why i added the evil laugth to the comment about oiled cotton airfilters)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts