Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had my two oxygen sensors replaced... it was about $400 for the two (including installation). My fuel efficiancy has increased by about 55 miles per tank!

I had the codes cleared (there were a whole mess of them because I was fooling around with
stuff) and now the check engine light comes on every once in a while. I did the jumper wire
trick and got five (5) short flashes. My book doesn't have that code--someone told me it was
the "knock sensor" is that true? What does this mean?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yep, code 05: knock sensor.

It's what the PCM uses to listen for detonation ("knock"). It's located under the intake manifold, in the 'V' between the cylinders and is also, IIRC, situated under a coolant pipe there. There's a single wire connector for it that comes out under the fuel injector harnesses.

With this code present, the PCM resorts to a low-advance spark strategy that affords less chance of detonation but also less power.

Check the electrical connector first. If you were "fooling around with stuff", perhaps you've left it unplugged or not fully connected...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just had my two oxygen sensors replaced... it was about $400 for the two (including installation).
:eek: $400?!?!!?

I replaced mine a few months back. Cost me $65/sensor and installation took me less than 30 minutes.

Sorry to be telling you this after the fact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts