Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I haven't been here in a while. I've been into bikes and I neglected the MX6 for a while. The weather is nice again and I decided to work on her a little more. I swapped in a KLZE into it and went from an auto to a 5speed. However, here in NJ it is VERY difficult to get to pass with an inspection sticker.

THe guy at the shop told me that because the car is OBDII that the car can't have any check engine codes or it will not pass. Right now it's running with MSD window switches and an auto ECU. If I swap in a 5speed ZE Ecu, will my codes be cleared?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
if u use a true ze ecu from a jdm car, u'll need a JE50 VAF. it shouldn't have any codes.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ghostling,

thanks for the response to my problem.

So I need to get the ZE ecu and the JE50VAF in order for there to be no check engine codes? I was looking at ebay for the ecu...they sell them with the cut harnesses plugged into the ecu already and some are sold without harnesses. Do I need the harness to splice into it, or will the original harness from the car plug into the ZE ecu?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you don't need the ones with the cut harness. they only sell it with the cut harness because when they took it out of the car, they were too lazy to actually unplug the wires and decided to slice it up. our OBDI harnesses plug straight in

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
welp, that's definitely a problem. pretty sure it won't work unless you swap to OBDI harness

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
^^ yeah kl31/36's are only plug and play for OBD1.

Talk to Probinator, if he makes a chip for OBD2's, he can solve your problem.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It is SOOO infuriating to see people who don't KNOW the answer make up their own to tell others.

--Since you're OBDII, the ZE ECU is not compatible with your car.
--Probinator does NOT make a chip for OBDII
--Your MSD window switches if hooked up properly and an AFPR set to the proper psi (42-45) and a reset of the ECU should clear codes. Ask sethbobob

Outside of the MSD window switches -- which again should work if done properly -- are:
--Megasquirt
--swap the OBDII harness for OBDI

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
also if you go the route of getting the ecu make sure you get the right harness KL31 is for the 93's with the extra temp sensor kl36 is for the 94's with out the extra temp sensor you can have a 94 with the kl31 (like me) but your fan will run all the time

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
kl31 is for manual. kl36 is for auto. not years

also if you go the route of getting the ecu make sure you get the right harness KL31 is for the 93's with the extra temp sensor kl36 is for the 94's with out the extra temp sensor you can have a 94 with the kl31 (like me) but your fan will run all the time

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Simmer down B. The issue of the 31/36 ECU working or not working was resolved. and i never said Probinator did make a chip, i merely suggested talking to him.

Not everyone can be right, at least most people on the forum are willing to help. The only person that ever offers to help me with my car is my dad, otherwise its like a needle in a haystack finding someone to help who doesnt have a smart ass comment about why i'm dumping money into my 95 or when its gonna be back on the road again.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
B, it is soooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating when people don't read right what people write and get pissed over what people write in trying to help other people. We've already come to the conclusion his OBDII don't work with the jspec ecus. people make mistakes, don't be an ass. i'm sure you've made plenty of mistakes yourself.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is SOOO infuriating to see people who don't KNOW the answer make up their own to tell others.

--Since you're OBDII, the ZE ECU is not compatible with your car.
--Probinator does NOT make a chip for OBDII
--Your MSD window switches if hooked up properly and an AFPR set to the proper psi (42-45) and a reset of the ECU should clear codes. Ask sethbobob

Outside of the MSD window switches -- which again should work if done properly -- are:
--Megasquirt
--swap the OBDII harness for OBDI
Hey BSHARK,
I see you have a 97' ZE. How do you have it set up? The MSD switches came with the car, I never messed with them. I have the auto stock ecu. Which ecu do I need? I am not swapping the harness out! lol. Thanks for the help people. I'm a noob when it comes to this. I work on bikes, not cars.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I'll PM you all the information I have

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey bshark i need a little help as well i have a 96 probe gt with the klze with the stock ecu i was wondering if you could help me to get it to run better and maybe pass etest thanks

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
hey bshark i need a little help as well i have a 96 probe gt with the klze with the stock ecu i was wondering if you could help me to get it to run better and maybe pass etest thanks
Considering you don't have a functioning EGR with a KLZE engine, your chances of passing E-test as is are low. I failed with NOx being 300 points above the limit. However, we have a place here that allows us to test as a hotrod considering its not the stock engine.

Even with the stock ECU and no ECU mods/adjustments, it should still run fine. If it's running bad then something else is the problem

To free up the final 10hp u have three options of either:
--MSD window switches + Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
--Megasquirt
--Swap your OBDII harness for a OBDII one

·
Registered
40 Posts
when we did the swap we put the egr valve on what is msd window switches and how do you put in a adjustable fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
when we did the swap we put the egr valve on what is msd window switches and how do you put in a adjustable fuel pressure regulator
The adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR) should come with instructions when u get a kit, it's really ridiculously easy, maybe 20 minutes work. A KLZE should have pressure set to 40-45psi.

Try doing a search for MSD window switches and if you're still having a problem finding info then post here again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts