Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok strange thing, CEL lights up randomly when i'm driving for a bit, and i think it might be telling me something about my cat converter but not sure. It goes on when I'm driving fast (above 75 mph) but not all the time. It does it intermittently and if I take my foot off the gas for about four seconds it goes away. I noticed tho that when i had my emissions done i passed, but with the exact maximum amount of... something.. but i can't remember. damn. anyway has anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
_bullet_ride_ said:
Ok strange thing, CEL lights up randomly when i'm driving for a bit, and i think it might be telling me something about my cat converter but not sure. It goes on when I'm driving fast (above 75 mph) but not all the time. It does it intermittently and if I take my foot off the gas for about four seconds it goes away. I noticed tho that when i had my emissions done i passed, but with the exact maximum amount of... something.. but i can't remember. damn. anyway has anybody else had this problem?
With a 95 LS, you can go to my web site and look under "Malf Codes" to read the engine code out yourself. Sounds like one or more of codes 15, 17, 23 or 24 - all O2-sensor related codes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man I had the exact promblem as you. It is the O2 sensors. It is not real chep but more than likely it still has the original ones. Just goto AutoZone and buy two new ones, then you will have the lifetime warranty, then take it to a mechanic and have them swap em out. Or, doit your self if you know how.

Later yo,

·
Registered
257 Posts
ITS EASY TO DO EM YOURSELF. I DID MINE LAST WEEK. FRONT ONE TOOK ME LESS THAN 5 MINUTES-OPEN END WRENCH,NO JACK! JUST LAY UNDER THE CAR FROM THE FRONT, IT'S ON THE FRONT 3 PIPES DOWN BY WHERE THEY BEND BACK. THE REAR IS A BITCH. TOOK ABOUT 1 1/2 TO 2 HOURS AND A SPECIAL TOOL. THERES NO ROOM TO SWING A WRENCH. JACK THE CAR, REMOVE THE WHEEL, GO IN AT IT FROM THE WHEEL WELL. YOU'LL NEED A SLOTTED SOCKET OR A CROWS FOOT SOCKET. THEN IT'LL ONLY TAKE 5 MINUTES TO DO THE ACTUAL CHANGE. GOOD LUCK, DONT PAY CRAZY CASH TO HAVE EM DONE, AND DONT FORGET TO NOT WORK ON A CAR SUPPORTED ONLY BY A JACK. =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe oh i'll never forget...ugh. anyway I haven't checked the codes yet but after a thorough investigation of other people's symptoms I have decided that there is a 95% probability it is the O2 sensors, and also that since I'm seeing no drop in gas mileage (quite the opposite in fact) and also since the light hardly ever goes on, it is probably only one of them, and probably the one up front. Also after investigation I have decided that the Bosche sensors from AutoZone are probably just as good as what you get from the dealer stock. When I change my oil tomorrow I'll check the codes, and probably buy a few O2 sensors as well. I'll do it myself of course =) .

Oh btw with a special O2 socket and an extension there should be no problem with the rear sensor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well code 17 came up, which means that I need to replace the left (radiator side) O2 sensor. Not a biggie, it's the easy one and it's only 65 bucks. plus since it's on the radiator side of things it's not a big deal anyway. Props and thanx go out to Mike for having such an informative site. I shall order one now. Problem solved. Case closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts