Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the Check Engine Light located ??

This weekend i wanted to check out if there is any malf codes stored. I bridged out TEN and GROUND , making sure it is the right pins. I turned the ignition to on and waited for the CEL but it did not iluminate. I had a UNICHIP fitted to my 2,5 V6.

Any suggestions ?

By the way, did the rear tappet cover gaskets myself. WHAT A BITCH that was, but the car is running fine now !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check engine light is located to the very left of the blue "brights on" light. Its shaped like an engine and lights up yellow. In a nut shell, its right below your speedometer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Coenraad,

Some non-North America versions of the MX6 did not come equipped with a dash-mounted check engine light, for whatever reason (really rather odd if you ask me...) Thus, you won't see it because it's not there to see.

To check the codes on your car, you'll need to ground the TEN pin as you did and then use a voltmeter to monitor the voltage on the FEN pin in the same connector box. Any codes will be "flashed" out on the FEN pin as voltage pulses, just like the CEL flashes out codes as light pulses. The protocol is the same in both cases (in fact, the FEN pin and CEL are tied to the same driver in 93-95 PCMs.)

See my page under Malf Codes, if necessary, for a summary of 93-95 trouble codes.

BTW, congrats on the not-fun job of rear valve cover replacement.

[Edited by Mike 94PGT on 12-11-2000 at 01:17 PM]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the reply.

I think it is like you say,since i live in south africa and the CEL does not show in the manual that i got with the car.

What kind of voltage is pulsed out. Knowing that then i can used something like a light bulp or something.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Coenraad said:
Thanx for the reply.

I think it is like you say,since i live in south africa and the CEL does not show in the manual that i got with the car.

What kind of voltage is pulsed out. Knowing that then i can used something like a light bulp or something.

Going from memory (which is of dubious reliability...) the FEN pin showing +12V (battery voltage) corresponds to the check engine light being "off". The FEN pin at or close to ground (0V) corresponds to the check engine light being "on".

To verify this, turn the ignition on but don't start the car (don't ground the TEN pin for this test.) Check the FEN pin. It should be near 0V if I'm right. Now start the car and let it idle. If there's no active code present (i.e. a code that would cause the CEL to be on at this moment), the FEN pin should be near +14V (or battery voltage.) Once you've established this, turn off the ignition, ground TEN and try reading the codes out on FEN.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cel light

I live in cape town south africa and can confirm that our mx6,s do not have a CEL light.I even removed the instrument cluster to confirm that there is no bulb or socket for the light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts