Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my question i just bought a 88 mx-6 GT. but the problem is that i bought it with the front end smashed in.(hit a tree on the drivers side when it was in the driveway, warming up) but i just started it for the first time and it idles at about 2 grand, and goes up and down from 2000-2500. with the check engine light on. im just wondering if that is becuase there is no coolent in the system? or is it something differnt?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well you really shouldnt be running it with no coolant in the system :). But here's what you do. Open the hood and by the drivers side strut tower there's a green connector. Ground this to something by using a wire, and turn on the ignition without starting the engine. The check engine light will blink out a 2 digit code. Post that code here and we'll tell you what it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok does the green connector have 3 wires on it? becuase i grounded all 3 wires and i didnt get no code from it. do i have the wrong connector? i know about not running it without fluid but i had to find out if it ran good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It will only have one wire. The wire is red with a white stripe (at least on my '89 GT). Mine has a green connector on the end. Good luck and let us know what code you get.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yeah leave the yellow 2 wire connector alone. Just the green one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car also is having problems and the check engine light is on. I did the above test and the check engine light just turned off. it didn't blink at all. As soon as I ungrounded the wire the light turned on again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
bLodi, did you have the ign on, but not the motor? Also, was it the single red wire with the white stripe and the green connector, right next to the driver's side strut tower? I've never had my car do that, I'm not trying to say you did anything wrong, just trying to figure out why it didn't work for you:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, that is what I did, but I will try it againg today just make sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey bLodi mine car did the same thing... i would ground it and nothing would happen so try unhooking the negative cable from the battery and pressing in on the brake for at least 5 seconds.. after i did that it popped up with a code 16 whatever that means!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Me Too!

1stgenlover said:
hey bLodi mine car did the same thing... i would ground it and nothing would happen so try unhooking the negative cable from the battery and pressing in on the brake for at least 5 seconds.. after i did that it popped up with a code 16 whatever that means!
That is what I got as well, it is the EGR position sensor. I took mine off and cleaned out all the gunk with some carb cleaner, reset teh comp. but still got a 16 when I did the codes again.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The check engine light code does not always point to the problem... when I had a hole in my Throttle Boddy to Air Box tube the check engine light would intermittently come on and off, and I believe it gave me an EGR sensor code when I grounded the test connector, but the problem was really the hole in the intake hose, nothing to do with the EGR system or sensors.

Also, there is a whole section in the shop manual for troubleshooting with these check engine codes that is very useful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
magik8 said:
The check engine light code does not always point to the problem... when I had a hole in my Throttle Boddy to Air Box tube the check engine light would intermittently come on and off, and I believe it gave me an EGR sensor code when I grounded the test connector, but the problem was really the hole in the intake hose, nothing to do with the EGR system or sensors.

Also, there is a whole section in the shop manual for troubleshooting with these check engine codes that is very useful.
What was your problem? I got the EGR code when I ran my codes and cleaned it out and could not resolve the problem. Maybe I have what you had? Please explain.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
like I said in my last post, the big air tube that connects the Throttle Body to the Air Box/Air Filter had a big hole in the underside of it.... i got a new tube and the car ran perfectly!

It is strange how a small hole in that tube can cause the whole car to run like CRAP!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts