Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago my check engine light turned on...i checked in the manual and if its the ignition light then that means that my alternator is going out :( ...which it is, but i just need to make sure. What else could the check engine light mean:confused:? i know on Acura's and Honda's it has something to do with the fuel system. The light only stays on after i turn on the car and when i drive below 2400 Rpm's. Any suggestions or imput will be appreciated.

Gandhi

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
just pull the codes.

Methman

G

·
Dude i had the exact same problem.I took my car to the mazda dealership for the codes and it was code 16 : EGR unit. Aperently there are 26 sensors to trip the engine light.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
yes there are many things that would cause the CEL to turn on. What you should do is pull the codes.

This is how to:

Open hood, locate a terminal/jack with a single wire going to it, that is not plugged into anything. it will be located in a bundle with maybe 1 or two other jacks with it. they can be found within inches of the driver side strut tower. then take a wire and stick it into the jack. then ground the other end of the wire, strut tower comes to mind.

then put the key in and turn it to on, dont try to start the car. the CEL should start to flash after a bit.

To interpret the codes: there will be series of long flashes then some short flashes (or vice versa) the number of long flashes is the 10's digit and the number of short flashes is the 1's digit. it may give you multiple codes, it will also repeat the set of codes after it has finished going through them. then seach on this site for a reference to look up what the codes mean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
little late

Sorry about the late reply...but instead of doing all this could i just go to a Mazda dealership and have them check my car out? and have them tell me what's wrong?

But also on the codes in the FAQ ur missing the 90-92 turbo model codes...the codes for all 80's models are there but only the N/A codes for the 90-92 are shown...or maybe i missed something? someone correct me please.

gandhi

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
First of all, there is no "all this" all you have to do is ground a wire and turn a key.

2ndly yes you could easily go to a dealer and have them pull the codes for you with their fancy computer thingy. But as far as i know this might cost you around $80.

now whats a better choice???

if you cant find all the codes then go to performanceprobe.com they should have it all listed there.

kya baqwas bolre ho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts