Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are 5 1/4" VDO splits. Custom door builds and sail panels done by me.

And no the vinyl isn't blue more of a steel grey.

What you guys think?:)

Whole door.

Contoured speaker pod.

Sail panel for tweeter (could use recovering, tis a bit puckered)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It def' was a pain to get smooth. A bit of heat from the missus' hair drier helped. The colour doesn't look as bright as that IRL and actually goes well with the OEM trim.

Thanks for the comments guys - no k biscuit tho?;)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
nice job:tup:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Looks good! Must sound way better then those 3.5's pointed at the ground!

Nick

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah sounds a whole lot better.:cool:
I am really pleased with the result and I am only running them off the head unit at the moment. I have an amp sitting in the garage, an old Vnet 2100 but I will probably use that for my sub.
I'm going to tuck that into the corner of the boot (trunk) so I don't lose to much space. I'll post more on that when I get around to it. Gotta clean up the mess in the garage left from the doors (promised the wife:( )
Thanks for the good words guys glad to know it's appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
if you werent in australia, id offer you some money to make me some, can you post pictures of the door assembly taken apart, or is that too much to ask?

ive been wanting to throw 6" speakers in my door for a long time, and ive been looking for a really shallow mount speaker to clear the window and accessories. just havent got around to it yet.....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the only good pic I have of it. Sorry about the size of it (in a hurry)

As you can see I used a bracket to secure the window runner to the rebar before cutting room for the speaker.
Sounds rough doesn't it, but there is just no other way of doing it other than having your speakers sit out 2". After that I screwed wooden spacer blocks onto the inner door skin to deaden the vibrations and provide a secure mounting the speakers. Will have to take a pic of this to explain better.

In the end there is no vibration that I can hear and I have fussy ears.
Distortion comes in when the rears start to break up so theres another thing I have to do. Its all good.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ive been thinking of doing something like this, just moved over more to the left
Those would have been heaps easier but I didn't want to cut up anything I couldn't replace. Just get a factory trim insert and swap em out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts