Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys (and gals if there are any) check the oil level in the tranny? I've tried to do it like the manual says (undo the small bolt and pull speedo gear from the tranny and check oil level from the scale) but I can't get it done. The bolt comes off but the rest stays stuck.
Am I missing something?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
instead of pulling directly upward, try twisting first to break the seal. Chances are it hasnt been opened in awhile, once you get it to twist, try an upwards twisting motion. Most important DONT PULL ON THE CABLE. It will comes out pretty easy any time you need to do it after that. If you need to check your fluid, and you've never done it, it hasnt been changed in a long time :lol:
might as well do yourself a favor and drain and fill with some synthetic like Redline or Royal Purple in 75-90

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You can try to rotate the speedo gear housing to loosen it, but if it hasn't come off in a while, the gear is probably in there pretty well.

If the speedo gear is stuck, I usually just remove the bolt, and then thread the speedometer cable back onto the gear fully. You can then pull up on the metal base of the cable (DO NOT pull on the cable itself, it will break) and that usually works. Be careful though as you can break the threads off the gear housing. Also be careful with the tab on the housing as it breaks easily.

Make sure that you check the gear oil level when the car is on level ground.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the car for about 4 years and never before thought to have a need to check it (had enough of that with my old Audi ATM). Now I planned to change the oil to synthetic just for the fun of it but can't get that damn bugger off! I'll try using that twisting technique.

Oh, yeah, I just remembered another thing. There's a small cap or nipple-like thingy on top of the gearbox housing (or it's more like over the clutch than on the gearbox). Under the small cap there's a spring and a rubber... lid, I guess. Maybe anyone knows what's that nipple for?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts