Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to sound dumb, but I was always told to check the oil on a warm engine. Even the owners manual says to let the car run 5 min. before checking the oil.
So than why is it people at Probe Talk tell me it is best to check it when it is cold, after sitting overnight or a couple of hours? Who is right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Checking your Oil

Its better to check the oil while the engine is cold. When the engine has had time to fully warm up, the oil is lubricating through the engine and therefore when you check it, it'll appear that you have less oil than you actually do. When the engine is cool, the Oil has had a time to settle and when you check it, the reading will be more accurate.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
rdisharoon is technically right, but I personally still like to have the oil at the 'full' line when the engine is nice and hot. Every time I get gas I check the oil and, if required, top it up to the full line.

I realize this probably puts the oil slightly above the full mark when the engine is stopped and all the oil has drained to the sump, but I still like knowing that even when the heads are saturated and the oil galleries are full, I still have a sump full to the brim with nice clean Mobil 1 :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts