Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear guys,

since christmas is coming up, i was thinking about purchasing a eprom chip or superchip for my MX-6, any opinions on which one is the best.

thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
37 Posts
What does this do to the gas mileage on everyday driving? Do these just kick in when you floor the car? Do they add more gas to the engine, or make it run rich or what? Do they help a lot with acceleration?

G

·
My gas mileage was not affected by the chip-the chip gave a smooother acceleration and when it hits 3500 you feel a kick kinda like a VTEC Honda to say. The chip helps your basic bolt ons work better too.

G

·
it costs around $300 and you take your computer and send it to them to replace the chip overnight and they do one day turnaround and overnight back to you so you lose your MX for a day or two. THe computer is underneath the radio you just pull the center trim back and unplug the computer and unscrew 4 screws. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery capable and dont have a lot of static in you! This is the way it worked when I got my chip from Jet Performance

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Not many people believe in an aftermarket chip boosting your performance by whatever percentage the anufacturer describes. In most cases, the chip causes power loss not gain.

In most cases, these chips were developed with a specific car in mind. I'm not talking about a make and odel, but the manufacturer actually grabbed a Probe or MX6 and strapped it to a dyno and what not and played with the specific settings for the chip in order to make it perform at it's highest potential. Now, if you grab that same car, once the chip was made for it, and added headers, high flow cat and exhaust per say, that will through the chip way off. Then, the air/fuel ration and other specifications will be thrown off and the chip will make the car loose power instead of gain power.

In my opinion, they are a waste of money. Unless, you can have a custom chip made to work with the modifications you have. This means have your car dynoes and tested as they make the chip.... Only problem after this is that if you add another modification, you'll have to reprogram the chip.

My .02c

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've heard

I've heard the same thing, except the loss of power. I've heard of people buying the chips, and having little to no power gain at all.

Only certain cars this helps. A lot of times, it just changes the shift points on automatic trannies, allowing the motor to obtain slightly higher RPMS, which to me is stupid. Every auto I've driven, if you floor it, the RPM guage will go to the red line, with a stock chip anyway. Why would you want exceed that? I don't know. But some swear by it.

Oh well, Good luck.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
...and another thing...

Many people claim that chips are good for ATX cars because they alter shift points. Hogwash, at least for the MX6-V6/PGT ATXs.

In these cars, the PCMT (transmission) controller handles all shifting duties. The PCMT communicates with the PCME (engine) controller - the computer most people talk about when they are talking about putting chips in - telling the PCME when it's about to shift up or down. The PCME responds by reducing the torque either by a timing retard or a momentary fuel cut, after which the PCMT commands the shift. But the PCME makes no decisions at all about the timing of the shift.

In theory, a PCME chip for an ATX can eliminate the torque reduction logic resulting in harder shifting (and some people have discovered that inducing a code 10 by disabling the IAT will also cancel the torque-reduce logic) which can up performance, though I don't know of any chip maker that actually does so.

A chip upgrade can be performed on a PCMT to alter shift strategies, but then that won't affect any spark, timing or other issues in the PCME...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not a good idea

Dear guys,

Thanks for the posts...no chips for me, I'll have to talk to my mechanic about other things to do my mx-6. A nice Remus exhaust would do me well!!!

thanks,

Anthony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts