Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a good question for any of you guys that mess around with chips in your mx6's or probes. first of all, i keep hearing different things about chips and what not...what the hell is the deal with chips? I see ads for the "superchips" or the "dinan performance engineering" chips. do they really add about 10-15 hp? Jorge told me they add or subtract 2hp. Does it affect the way your car runs? could it seriously damage your car instead of helping it?
what if you already have an intake and a full exhaust? does that make any difference? i really need some advice, im not looking to buy one any time soon, but if i do eventually, i want to make sure i am making a good investment. By the way..if they are worth it, which one is the best deal out there? ( reliability/performance)

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

G

·
I have a chip in my 93LS and i love it. It only added 5hp to my car but it got rid of the govenor. I took it out to the Atlanta speedway a few months back after i added the cheap and redid the exhaust and intake. I got the car upto 161mph. If you really wanna piss off a cobra on the interstate it is a must.
95/\redstreak/\LS said:
i have a good question for any of you guys that mess around with chips in your mx6's or probes. first of all, i keep hearing different things about chips and what not...what the hell is the deal with chips? I see ads for the "superchips" or the "dinan performance engineering" chips. do they really add about 10-15 hp? Jorge told me they add or subtract 2hp. Does it affect the way your car runs? could it seriously damage your car instead of helping it?
what if you already have an intake and a full exhaust? does that make any difference? i really need some advice, im not looking to buy one any time soon, but if i do eventually, i want to make sure i am making a good investment. By the way..if they are worth it, which one is the best deal out there? ( reliability/performance)

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
the dynos I have seen at MIKES pgt page only show a 3 hp gain at the wheels. Our cars are not programed with a speed governor, so they will not affect the top speed. If you have an automatic, then I would recomend it because it reprograms your shift points.

for more info on these chips, go to the site below.

http://home.golden.net/~trinity/

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not worth it. Go to probetalk.com and search for the superchips topic. Some dude dynoed the car and didn't gain anything. Don't buy it especially if you plan to run NOS or forced induction. If you have an auto, look into the Python Venom unit.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
95/\redstreak/\LS said:

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!
As one of the few people who've actually modified their own PROM and as one who has had quite extensive experience in the field, I'll offer my thoughts, FWTW.

First off, unless the car in question has a turbo with a PCM-controlled wastegate, a chip will never net 20HP like some of these sites are claiming. Engines make power by pumping air - in and out. Unless the chip can cause more air to enter the engine (e.g. increase boost pressure in turbo apps) any gains are likely to be nominal at best. Maybe a few HP. (Some cars, notably some GM cars, have their PCMs purposely "de-tuned" and can benefit from a flash update, but the MX6/PGT is not like that...)

Chips can control quite a few things: EGR delivery, spark timing, fuel amount, VRIS operation, A/C clutch control etc. But the overall effect these items have on power is fairly minor. Remember back in the old days...when cars had carburetors and timing was something you adjusted on a Saturday afternoon? Besides the tune-up aspect of the work (i.e. bringing the car back up to its best running condition by cleaning the carb or setting the timing to factory specs etc), how much power do you think was found by just re-jetting the mains in the carb? Or by advancing the timing a few degrees? Not alot, and in fact, doing these things may make the car run worse.

It's no different with PROMs: you can move the timing around a bit and adjust the fuel. But you're not moving any more air. What's done is more like optimising. For example, many chip "makers" recommend 94 octane to get the most out of their chip. They recommend this because when they advance the timing a few degrees, it'll produce no more pwoer if the PCM has to take it back out again because the knock sensor is singing.

Now, you can do a few things in a PROM that aren't so much aimed at increasing peak power but which are done with other things in mind. For example, reducing the amount of EGR. Moving the VRIS points to better suit a new intake manifold. Reducing tip-in spark-retard to improve throttle response. Reducing or eliminating torque-reduction during shifts (ATX only) to provide firmer shifting. Rev limiter (in my car, I've reduced the fuel cut from 7500 to 7000.) Speed limiter on cars so equipped. There are many other examples. Most of the mods in the PROM in my car right now are of this type. Sure, I did bump the timing a bit (in fact, my car is running a spark map very close to the KLZE)... Because I run 94 all the time anyway, I can get away with it with no real penalty.

It's beyond me how these companies can make claims of 15-20HP with (a) no fine print and (b) no proof. When repeatedly prodded for dyno plots of the alleged 18HP gain Jet chips claims, all one gets is the runaround. They say "We'll get them out to you as soon as possible." and they never show. They rely on your innate apathy not to persue the issue. It's very surpising to me that no one has ever launched a false advertising claim against these places... I got a "plot" from Superchips (see it one my web site under "Superchip?" You tell me...is that a "fake" or "real" dyno plot?

My advice: If you must have a PROM, do it this way: make every conceivable mod you can to your car - CAI, exhaust, headers, cams, ported manifold, throttle body etc - then find a place that will do a custom PROM for you. Don't buy a generic off-the-shelf cookie cutter PROM from Superchips or Jet etc...have one done custom for your car. Perferably, have the engineer meet you at a dyno. Do a few runs...make a few tweaks, run it again etc. Get an optimum chip for your combination.

Since this isn't really feasible (and it'd likely be expensive), you have two other options: buy an overpriced cookie cutter PROM ($300+?!) and get minimal benefits or put that $300 toward something, anything, that will increase airflow through, and fuel to, the engine. The gate to HP in the KL03 is not the PROM...it's the cams, the intake manifold, the exhaust manifolds, port shape & size etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys!

Hey guys, i just wanted to thank you for the info. I think i am going to spend my money on something else rather than a "cookie chip". maybe hotshot headers mated to a greddy catback and random technologies cat. thanks alot mike 94pgt, that was alot of info.

rich

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: thanks for the info guys!

95/\redstreak/\LS said:
Hey guys, i just wanted to thank you for the info. I think i am going to spend my money on something else rather than a "cookie chip". maybe hotshot headers mated to a greddy catback and random technologies cat. thanks alot mike 94pgt, that was alot of info.

rich
CAI, header, and exhaust will net more than a stupdi little paper weight(chip) every will with mx6. later man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts