Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would i go about getting rid of the chrom trim around the rear glass and the windows? i think it looks out of place, and i would like to change it to black somehow. Anyone done this before?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you paint over the chrome, it won't last long - maybe there is a way to de-chrome it. Find a GT in a junk yard to get the black trim off of or you can buy it from Mazda. To remove the trim around the rear windows, you have to pop the interior trim off that goes around the same window, and there is a screw under that which hold the outside trim on. (+ the screws you can see along the inside of the door.)
I don't know anything about the trim around the back glass, but it might be held on the same way - from the inside. The windshield trim just peels off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will probably look pretty ghetto too if i painted it. does the same hold true for peeling it off the windshield?

And come to think of it, what about the two strips of chrome inside the car, in the back seat area?

thanks guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
The chrome is inside the car in the cars with the black trim outside too. I don't have any better suggestions on changing it, but I agree that it doesn't match the styling and that black would be better.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Would one have to sandblast the trim to remove the chrome plating?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
If you sand the trim and paint it with flat-black trim paint it should look fine. The trim on my car is already black, but it was peeling so I repainted it with the flat-black trim paint and it looks great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ya I have the same chrome trim around my windows etc
I was thinking of paining it back as well.
I think if u do a undercoat black and the do a black gloss on top of it I think it should hold.
See if u guys can come up with anything else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts