Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my magnaflow muffler sounds restrictive, very faint and honda-like, now I'm gonna cut it off and clamp on a different muffler, a straight through one because this magnaflow has an S shape bend running through it which I think is causing the faint note.

I'm going to record a video of the car without any muffler for fun, then I will record a video later on once I bolt on a new muffler.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i like mufflers that are faint so you hear more engine roar

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
You are not going to get a v8 sound out of a 2.5 liter v6. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard a bad sounding magnaflow setup. Do you have a video of your exhaust? My borla is kind of quiet and mellow until I open it up and the intake and cams go to work. Then all you hear is motor noise until redline. Honestly, headers made more of a sound difference than the borla. :shrug: Maybe you should look into a set before you rip your exhaust apart.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....I already have headers, a high flow magnaflow cat, and 2.25" mandrel bent pipes lol it's in my sig. So I have no idea why its as mellow as it is, I think it's because my muffler isnt straight through it has a bend running through it.

Would a straight through muffler sound better?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
no. if you dont have a resonator, it'll sound a lil raspy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have a resonator, a pretty fat one to be exact, dont know what it is, or what it looks like inside but it's there. So I should just leave my exhaust the way it is? I was offered a straight through greddy muffler (used, like 6 months) for free i know it's a fart cannon but it's a greddy!

It just has a soft tone to it while casually driving, until wot and I hear the intake over the exhaust for the low rpm then all exhaust around 6-8,000.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats that little wisp of air you hear when coming off the revs? Is that just the headers, because it's thin metal can you hear the gases?

But ya that sounds identical to mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts