Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need some help...my car runs well but I just can't believe that the car is supposed to be as slow as it is. It's a 93ATX 2.5L with 80,000 mi. I consistently have timed my 0-60's in the 11 second range. I almost got beat by a f-ing corolla yesterday. I replaced fuel filter, bosch plat2 sparks, ngk wires, and put in a CAI. Also IAT mod. I still notice a lag in power in the 3-5K range, especially under full throttle. My gas mileage has been consistently in the 17-18MPG range and I live in Houston which means mostly highway driving. After each mod/maintenance, I've noticed very small improvements. I've run injector cleaners but I think maybe i need to replace them or just clean them by hand. I couldn't find any instructions to actually clean them...can anyone help? Any advice? I've also recently heard a ticking - I checked my oil and added some. I changed to mobil 1 and it seemed to eat abit bus has been fine since. Still some light ticking. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well lets see... The ticking will most likely be your HLA's, so the nice Synthetic bath should help quiet them... As for the lag in power, it could be a lot of things. You say that the lag in power is in the 3K to 5K range? You should check to make sure that your VRIS solenoids are opening properly. Other than that, when was the last time you changed your O2 sensors? That would give you better throttle response in WOT. You may wanna run some STP fuel injector cleaner, or the stuff you can buy in the states. I can't remember the name of it. Other than that, maybe decarbonizing the intake manifold? That's all I can come up with right now. I'll post again if I can think of anything...

BTW i've heard stories that our cars don't really like bosch platinum plugs. Lots of people swear by the NGK V-power plugs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so I've basically diagnosed that neither VRIS is working. Neither budge when revving the engine while in neutral. One time when I drive a bit the VRIS #1 paper (I believe this is the passenger side - someone please correct me if I'm wrong) fell out, but didn't happen again.

I checked the vaccum suction on the hose that goes in to the metal nipple on the back side of the IM and I couldn't suck any kind of vaccum. So, I think that tells me that I the check valve or a vacuum chamber is faulty. I may remove my IM tomorrow to see if I can find anything wrong in there. I've never done that before, so it should be fun. I cable-tied my VRIS's open, and the engine response is amazing in the 4-6K rpm range now. I guess I figure if they're not going to work, they might as well be stuck in a more useful position than closed. Does anyone know if this is detrimental in any way - at least as a very temporary fix while getting the VRIS's working properly?

I tried to pull my codes, but got no CEL response at all. The CEL has not ever come on since I've owned it (for about 7K miles now).

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts