Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for my paint to dry, I decided to clean the throttle body of my car. I bought some of CRC's air intake cleaner and throughly cleaned the inside of the throttle body. I was amazed at the different in throttle response!! I nearly friggin crashed into a ditch because of torque steer! I must of regained a good 5HP after cleaning (trust me, my TB was REALLY dirty, especially the backside of the butterflies!) it. I recommend it for all to do. The engine seemed to be alot more smoother and quiet too. Maybe that's just me.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
It really helps doesnt it :). I bet your idle's a lot smoother too :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've really wanted to clean my trottle body how do I do it Do I have to take it off if so how? is it hard to do? I have an 89 LX thanks guys

Jason (pyro)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can take off the Tb but i didn't. You can clean it easier and more thoroughly that way. I took off everything from the flex tube down and just used the air intake cleaner and sprayed it in. I also opened the butterfly valves up and cleaned the backside and which also cleaned some of the intake manifold. (When you do this, your engine will flood, just floor the pedal and keep crankin, it'll start).

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your fuel filter is old I hear that changing it helps a lot too. Hrmm.. Mine has about 70,000 miles on it. I think I will change it and see what happens. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was going to replace the fuel filter then i found out it was $20 :(. I have 185,000 on mine! But I think I will in the near future, like this summer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where is the fuel filtter locatated. Also how would I go about taking off my trottle body.

Pyro

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you know where the ignition coil is right? well one of the fuel filters (the one i'm talking about), is right next to it. If you have an original it should be a bronzish color and is about the size of a pop can. If you plan to change the filter don't forget to relieve the fuel pressure!! or you'll have fuel all over the place. To relieve it, pull out the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over for about 30 seconds, stop and go another 30 seconds. I've also heard that you should remove the fuel cap too.

I haven't taken off the throttle body so I don't know the actual steps. You need to disconnect the throttle cable, take off the vacuum tubes and label them and unbolt it (i think there are four bolts/nuts). This is assuming that you have already removed the air intake system.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I've never released the fuel pressure when changing the fuel filter. No insane uncontrollable spray of fuel. Just a little dribble. Actually, I just changed my filter last week, and no fuel spilled out. Then again, the car sat overnight, so maybe that has something to do with it. If you really wanted to relieve the fuel pressure, you can just simply unplug the airflow meter while the car's running. This will shut the fuel pump off and the engine will shut down a second or 2 later. The only thing about this method is that it stores a code 09 in the ECU, which is no big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
anarchyx34 said:
If you really wanted to relieve the fuel pressure, you can just simply unplug the airflow meter while the car's running. This will shut the fuel pump off and the engine will shut down a second or 2 later. The only thing about this method is that it stores a code 09 in the ECU, which is no big deal.
Could you reset the ECU and clear the code?

·
Registered
266 Posts
hurddawg said:
i was going to replace the fuel filter then i found out it was $20 :(. I have 185,000 on mine! But I think I will in the near future, like this summer.
oh man-- you need to pony up the 20.00 and do it.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yeah, i hear great things about replacing the fuel filter. You should replace it what, every 15k miles?? Mine has 120+ K miles on it. I've been wanting to replace it, but as of now, i have clutch problems to deal with. But, i've tried somewhat to get the TB off. There was 1 nut that i couldnt get to. Does anybody have a write-up on this? Since my car is down for the time being, i would like to clean the TB.
EDIT:Btw, is the TB gasket metal or paper? Would i have to replace that if i removed the TB?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the car sits overnight there won't be any fuel pressure to worry about when changing filter. Smooth out that TB with some fine gringing stones since its off. Get rid of those sharp edges and imperfections. Grind off that little hump on the inlet side.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Dyoel182 said:
The throttle body gasket is a paper gasket and can be found at Autozone for like $2.
Awesome, ive herad it's a dealer only part or you would hve to buy the whole upper kit. Thank god it's that easy. (No Mazda dealer for miles and the Ford dealer said they cannot get any sort of parts anymore. :( asses.)

·
Registered
959 Posts
tell the ford dealer that they are full of it, they are required to keep availability on the parts for 10 years the LAST production run, and for something this relatively new ( in the old car market ) the parts are still available, they are just too lazy to actually bother trying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.