Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Get some 2000 grit if possiblle. I have 3000 grit, but its basically foam pad :D

Deffinatlly more sanding with less grit and more polishing..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Im going to go back to walmart sometime next week and pick up some 2000 grit sandpaper...I almost got it when i got the 400, 800, and 1000 but i figured the 1000 would be enough. One question for now though, it seems like the lights keep fogging up...well not completely but the only way to get rid of it is to spray it with water and once it drys the fog comes back again...the headlights still work but it keeps fogging up, what gives?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Gotta keep polishing/buffing those guys out. If aren't able to buff them out after wetsanding you might have to clear coat them. I think you get better clearcoat results when prep sanding with 400-800, instead of a higher grit. The lower grit allows the paint to fill in better, than if you prepped it with 1500-2000.

Sand down as super fine as you can and then finish/buff with scratch-X or other type of rubbing compound or plastic cleaner. If that doesn't work, then use the clearcoat.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
you need a buffer. rent one or borrow one. back when i was rocking the aspecs, i went to extremes! i started wth 80grit, 180, 320, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, then 3000, then BUFFED them, they could not have looked better, they were literally brand new, and once you get through all those grits your 80 grit marks will disappea. but a buffer is the only way to go to eliminate the haze, don't clear coat them it peals and chips like crazy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bigjames02 said:
Im going to go back to walmart sometime next week and pick up some 2000 grit sandpaper...I almost got it when i got the 400, 800, and 1000 but i figured the 1000 would be enough. One question for now though, it seems like the lights keep fogging up...well not completely but the only way to get rid of it is to spray it with water and once it drys the fog comes back again...the headlights still work but it keeps fogging up, what gives?
Use the mention Meguire's Plastix, it is sort of like a clear coat but it doesn't peel. Not only does it restore/remove the cloudyness from your headlights but it also preserves them so they don't fog up again in te near future.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They aren't cloudy anymore, they just seem like they keep fogging up and it wont stop doing it. What causes that after sanding them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes the rag or paper towel has a component that melts and leaves a foggy film. The best way is to get a fine atomizer and spray acetone onto the lens. That will clear it up without leaving steaks or a film. Just make sure the surrounding paint area is protected.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts